BSNL Broadband- speeds low, errors high and modem showing "Internet Connection Status : Unconfigured "

• Thread starter Thread starter Sizzler
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,728
ISP
BSNL
Hi! The BSNL folks have not restored my speed to 16 mbps after 2 complaints. I have a high number of errors and the speed goes down and seems to get better when I reboot. The ADSL statistics is given below. Could anyone help and tell me what the problem is ?
HTML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta name="Generator" content="Kate, the KDE Advanced Text Editor" />
<title>ADSL 21032918-3</title>
</head>
<body>
<pre style='color:#1f1c1b;background-color:#ffffff;'>
Statistics -- ADSL

Internet Connection Status : Unconfigure

Mode:    ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:    ATM
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):    On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):    71    125
Attenuation (0.1 dB):    230    93
Output Power (0.1 dBm):    0    126
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    15336    1228

Path 0     
                          Downstream    Upstream
Rate (Kbps):    14318    1020

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):    53        10
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):        246        145
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):    1        1
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):        2        1
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):        6        0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):    0.5508        4.5447
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):        3674        257
D (interleaver depth):                96        1
Delay (msec):                    13        1
INP (DMT symbol):                0.50        0.00

Super Frames:                    1630701        1445895
Super Frame Errors:                385178        0
RS Words:                    192422517    1870684
RS Correctable Errors:                40971975    0
RS Uncorrectable Errors:            3645306        0

HEC Errors:                    1843499        0
OCD Errors:                    0        0
LCD Errors:                    0        0
Total Cells:                    893103543    63719559
Data Cells:                    8778603        779182
Bit Errors:                    0        0

Total ES:                    15322        0
Total SES:                    7903        0
Total UAS:                    49        49

xDSL BER Test  Reset Statistics</pre>
</body>
</html>

Downgrade your line to 10 Mbps

You will only get 13.5 Mbps downloading speed in 16 Mbps plan because of the profile(line rate) just like when you have 10 Mbps profile you only get 8.5 Mbps downloading speed . And big profile have less snr margin means unstable connection. You are only getting 7 downstream snr margin, the snr margin should be above 15 to get a stable connection that's what BSNL engineer said to me so I was lucky to get a 19 snr margin on my 16 Mbps profile. So if you want a stable connection you have to downgrade your profile to 10mbps to get higher snr margin and stable connection. And if you still want a high speed connection from BSNL you should ask them if they provide wireless broadband in your area. ?

or try if you can get Fibre connection. to add, i am getting an increase in HEC error for a few weeks now

I have been getting 16 mbps without any problem for many months now- I dont see any reason to downgrade now. Does anyone have a solution for the new problem ?

Same problems, my line is now 4 mbps anything higher just disconnects way too frequently line speeds dropping SNR going wonky. I have been on a stable 10mbps line for monthns but since end of Jan its gone to shit. There seems to be no solution

I have been getting 16 mbps without any problem for many months now- I dont see any reason to downgrade now. Does anyone have a solution for the new problem ?
Complaint them about your low snr margin and they will downgrade your profile because they don't know any other solution

Tweet your problems to Anupam Srivastava(BSNL CMD ) that how much BSNL sucks . Where is all that government money going?? If you can't even give us a stable connection.

Last edited:
Same problems, my line is now 4 mbps anything higher just disconnects way too frequently line speeds dropping SNR going wonky. I have been on a stable 10mbps line for monthns but since end of Jan its gone to shit. There seems to be no solution

same here, even though i have a 8 mbps plan due to the frequent disconnections i am forced to downgrade to 4mbps. its high time BSNL do something about it. one way is to change the lines to fibre. as years pass internet speed is been increased by many ISP, here BSNL has hit its limit on what they can provide using the copper telephone lines. once the 249 plan stops there wont be much addition of new customers, i think BSNL knows about this and that is the reason why they keep extending the date.

But,I pay 1199 rs and any other customer who pays 249 rs also get same benefit.Then,my money is wasted.Its not fair.Also,they should not advertise that we are giving 10 mbps if they cant provide 10 mbps stable connection.Is it worth to upgrade to fiber?

I am paying 675rs for 10 Mbps speed and I am getting full 10 Mbps downloading speed i.e. 1.2 MB/sec in torrent or anyother download software. I don't know what you guys talking about.

what is wrong with BSNL?? is it me only or u`ll too?? . My Downstream SNR is 6.6 and Upstream is 22. Frequent disconnection. complained on twitter and also the head of bsnl broadband of state still no repairs .

when the speed increases snr goes down. so when snr goes down connection becomes unstable. if you are near to the exchange then you are lucky. the other thing that contributes to frequent disconnection is how noise free your line is . if there are disturbance in line then the link will be unstable. The BSNL lineman also said that you may be lucky if you are on a newly laid line.
checking your line is one solution. If its ok then check with another modem and splitter. if that too are not working means downgrade the line to a lower speed.
OR
if possible take a FTTH connection 😳

no BSNL FTTH in my area , but just for the industries near by 2 kms away. 🙁😕

well till Mid Jan connection was good with 10399 Kbps downstream. Later on something went wrong suddenly . checked my line its clear .

On a funny note one BSNL enginerr told me is " if my downstream rate is 10399 Kbps , i got a good & stable connection". nathing based on SNR ( currently 6 ) 🤔🙄

from dec last week on wards even my SNR margin started to become unstable. every two weeks or so i had to book a complaint. the line man came changed the drop wire, changed the pair everything but no luck the SNR kept on changing. one day when i raised a complaint i got a news that their servers are having problems and the connection itself is unstable at times. it is when SNR changes these connection drops happened for me. i also noticed an increase in errors in modem info page. as per my research, these errors happens when the line is faulty or noisy. they gave me a temporary modem to check even though there are errors the connection was stable so coming to a conclusion tht my modem is faulty.
the downstream rate keeps changing based on the SNR rate we get.i noticed on the Netgear test modem BSNL gave i get a downstream of 10000+when i turn on the modem but after a few hours it drops to 9000+,8000+,7000+ even when the SNR is stable but when SNR goes up these reduced values are not changing back.