BSNL Broadband: Port Forwarding A Ut-300r2u

nightwolf2k5

local welder/Lobotomist
ISP
b-s-n-l
hmmm.. i hope this is the right place to ask.. i just got my bsnl ul900+ internet connection... n.. after licking my lips thinking abt the lightning fast downloads i could get, was really disaapointed with the speeds i end up getting using both bitcomet n utorrent..i heard something abt portforwading or "bridging connections" or something could help sort it out..can anybody guide me.. btw.. i have tried portforward.com.. it does not have instructions on my modem model..ok.. here r a few details that u might find helpful..os : win xp sp2modem : starcom ut-300r2uah.. thats abt it i guess..i'd be really really grateful if someone could gude me on this..

this is the right place to ask but u shudnt have posted the same thread at two different places 😛 anyway i posted a screenshot for u to configure ur modem in bridge mode

i have the same modem as u.. in 300rtu u have to create a virtual server for port forwarding.. or u can simply use the modem in bridge mode to do way with the hassle wink.gif
here is a screenshot :

http://www.geocities.com/bhinder_preet/Screenshot.png[/b]

dude.. ah.. i just did that.. my connection went dead.. 🙁just noticed.. u use Ubuntu.. hello fellow linux. mate.. unfortunately for me.. i use ubuntu more as a fun thingy..

hhhmm after configuring ur router in bridge mode, you need to create a connection in windows to dial from it.. go to control panel->network connections->create a new connection->select connect to the internet and click nextsetup my connection manually and nextselect broadband connection that requires a username and password and click nextenter any name for the isp name and next againenter ur username and password and then click on finishnow u have to dial the connection just like u wud any dialup connection before u surf 🙂im not using ubuntu it's gentoo - faster and more configurable just use windows to play games @chethancj the benefit of using ur modem in bridge mode is that it bypasses the internal firewal so u dont have to setup port forwarding and stuffedit : to make sure that no other modem settings are conflicting with ur new ones, it might be a good idea to backup all ur settings and then click on the restore to default option and then start from scratch.

well.. the speeds still look the same man.. i'll try it for a while.. n.. maybe after that.. let u know.. thanks a ton mate! 🙂

i dont think its the internal firewall thats making the speed slow man.. i still think a few more unblocked ports will do wonders.. i got sygate firewall and it disables the windows firewall..hmmm.. could u let me know how to forward ports mate? i'd be really grateful for that..

hhhmmm technically when u use the router in bridge mode its supposed to bypass the hardware firewall.. but here's how u forward ports in 300rtu anyway :-you have two options :A) create a virtual server : - login to the router goto advanced->virtual serverenter the ip address of ur computer.. if u are using only one computer and u are using the default settings this should generally be 192.168.1.3.. you can however verify by typing ipconfig in the command prompt.. enter the protocol u wanna forward for... i.e. imcp, udp or tcp and ton the destination port leave it selected as any.. u can create any number of virtual serversB)set ur computer in dmz :- this is wat i do... it will leave all the ports of ur computer open to the outside world.. people say it can be dangerous but i dont have any services running on them anyway so i use my computer this way.. goto advanced->dmz and again enter the ip address of ur computer (see above) hope this helps 🙂

thanks a ton man... but.. somehow.. even after all this.. utorrent reports the ports as closed.. 🙁could it be cuz of my sygate?

well yeah of course it could be try disabling the firewall and then checking it.. strangely im using the same modem and i tried creating virtual servers and my torrent client would always show dht firewalled.. however, when i started using my modem in dmz mode, it started working fine.. go figure 🙄 so try that too

i did that port forwarding.. and maybe utorrent had its problems.. but.. bitcomet.. whoa!! man.. does that rock or what!! brilliant speeds.. somehow it configures stuff in the modem too.. nice..thanks mate.. u saved atleast a 100 hrs of slow downloads!

I have the similar problems with UT-300R2Ucan you tell me which option is better for port forwarding...bridge mode, dmz, virtual server??

i've used both dmz and virtual server! but.. make sure u have a nice firewall like sygate..bridge mode seems to be the most simplest.. cuz.. u dont have to configure much.. but.. guess it depends on u..

bridge mode eliminates the need for port forwarding (forwards all ports) for any program that u may be running on ur computer. Additionally, it also helps u in scheduling ur connection i.e. u can easily connect and disconnect at specific time using the windows task scheduler or other task scheduling program by creating a dialer on ur system

DMZ stand for demilitarised zone and exposes all the ports (forwards all ports) on one computer/device connected to ur router to the internet. SO if u want to use PPPoE/A mode which utilizes NAT and u have problem with port forwarding using DMZ could resolve the issue.

Virtual server helps in forwarding selected ports to the internet.

What u want to use is really ur own choice.

Disadvantage of bridged mode is that u cannot connect more than one device to the router and get simultaneous connectivity as u would get in PPPoA/E mode..but if u have a single computer attached to router there in no reason why not to use bridged mode.

for tutorial on how to configure bridge mode in UT300r2U and also how to schedule connection and disconnection see the following link

https://broadband.forum/index.php?showtop...=49304%EF%BF%BD