BSNL Broadband: Modem restarting every few minutes!

• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 93
  • Views Views 62,749

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
Hi,
Since the past two days, and especially today, my modem has kept on restarting every few minutes. First, I am not sure if its a modem or a router, of whether they are both the same (I dont know much about these things). It is Huawei Smart AX MT 882.

When I connect the modem, the second light (Link) starts blinking green, then stops blinking and remains green, and then turns orange, and after this, I can use the net.

But what has been happening is that after a few minutes, and sometimes even immediately after connecting, the Link light goes off all of a sudden, then starts blinking green again, turns green, then orange, and I can use the net again. This happens again and again. Now think what happens when you are downloading from link-removed, and you have have downloaded 90% of the file, and then the connections breaks.

The Wan settings are:
PVC number: PVC-0
Wan type: PPP
Connection type: PPPoE
VPI/VCI: 0/35
Encap: LLC
Default Route: Enabled

PPP:
username: xxx
password: xxx
Use DNS: enabled
Max Idle Time: Always On

The modem is connected by LAN.
The scheme is the rs. 500 2:00 to 8:00 free download one.

Now what is the problem: is it a problem with the modem, or the telephone line, or some software problem in the computer?

THERE, right now, when I am typing this, the modem has gone dead, and a file from link-removed has downloaded till 99.5%, the transfer is showing 1 second left, and now its lost. What the hell do I do? :wall:

Take a look at this:

http://a.imagehost.org/view/0210/Damn.jpg

Please help!

I've been facing the same problem for a few days now 🙂Will lodge a complaint with BSNL, hopefully its something that can be fixed soon....

probably some problem with your telephone line.try getting your telephone line tested.Make sure that all your telephones are connected after the splitter

Mine is a UT300R2U Modem supplied with BSNl (type I)I've been having this problem ever since I got BSNL Connection. It is perpetual, not a temporary problem.I think, it is the modem itself. I'm in the 750UL Plus plan. Perhaps it is to limit my Download too, by cunning BSNL Officials.:evil:😗It is really annoying - this problem of Modem restarting all the time. Everyday it restarts, I dunno - a million times. It restarts every now n then. There isn't a pattern either to find out where the problem is.I complained to BSNL but to no avail. I'm waiting to buy a new Router n check if the problem still persists.My friend's been having airtel connection with beetel modem n now zylinks router - both - absolutely no problem.Airtel's service - Unbeatable.:thumbsup😛aying a little more for good service isn't bad.I would only if they served my area.Damn, we poor souls of our area - the only major provider here is BSNL and other smaller ones which are much worse.:hysterical:

Good. That's what I thought too as mentioned in my post above as well. BSNL should be giving quality modems for the rent they charge. (Rs. 60/- per month).If it keeps restarting like this, then the rent they charge isn't justified.:hysterical:I have another doubt. Do we pay the rent for few months and then after a stipulated period, do we get to own the modem because, the rent which we would have paid would've long crossed the actual price of the modem itself?:evil:Or is it that we've to keep on paying the rent for eternity?😢One more thing is that since I've rented the modem, I can ask for a replacement, I wonder what people who've bought the modem from BSNL would do under such circumstances. would they say "We never forced you to buy the router from us" 😛 or would they replace it?Though I can get a replacement since I'm renting it, would BSNL send a different model of the router or would they send the same one? If they're going to send the same then the problem's going to remain the same.There is another problem with this modem - It overheats. I can literally bake cookies with such heat. :wall: Is this Normal and is this reason for its restarting?Someone who've changed their modem for this reason - please reply.

My modem too restarted automatically for few days. :wall:Its very irritating for me. :madness:😡

/members/rkarthea/First try to replace the suspect modem which is on rental basis.Then(take all your old bills and) buy the replacement outright ( if same or different) .You get 50% of the rental paid discounted from the cost of the modem.Condition modem should be in working condition.See FAQ 45 in BSNL web site. Para two : @hydraheaded @ rkarthea @kumar_1980 please mention modem make also. Post screen shot of ADSL status page showing SNR/Attn Mod selected/ line rate etc.

/members/rkarthea/ Thanks for the response.
Presume second image is continuation . OK>
With SNR 6.7 and Attn 55.5db , no wonder you have problems. "ECG" shows you should be far away from the exchange, and with serious line conditions.!
Suggestion 1: Check your Rj11 cables for oxidisation/corrosion etc. better replace them.
Suggestion 2 : Try different Mod : First try GDMT then ADSl2 . ( now you are in ADSL2+) and also T 413. In particular mod mode connection could be lost.
Suggestion 3 ;Check Bitswap is enabled. ( sometimes helps . no theory please !)
Suggestion 4 : Whether Interleaved or Fast mode. Former preferred.( latter for games )
Suggestion 5 : Use Open DNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
Please give feedback.
Target : SNR better or greater than 10 db ( higher the better ) Attn less than 30 db or even lower.

@essbebe
Thanks for the suggestions
Though None of this (listed below as "Will Try") makes sense to me... I'll try to fiddle around and figure it out!

Suggestion 1: Ruled out - New cable
Suggestion 2: Will Try
Suggestion 3: Will Try
Suggestion 4: Will Try
Suggestion 5: Already using OpenDNS

Here's what I tried:
Suggestion 2: Disabled ADSL2, ADSL2+ and T413, Enabled only GDMT, Connection Lost completely.
Enabled ADSL and disabled GDMT - No connection
Enabled GDMT - No COnnection
Enabled only ADSL2 - Router keeps restarting
All other permutation combination - No connection
Suggestion 3: Yes Bitswap is enabled
Suggestion 4:Yet to try, not found the setting yet.

Here is a screenshot of the config page where I adjust these settings:

Enabled everything on this page and Internet is working presently but dunno if the problem still persists.
Will Monitor for a day and revert back.
(Modem restarted as I'm typing this)
So... I think it hasn't worked.

There's something called SRA Enable - Should that be checked or remain at default unchecked?

ive been using the same modem for 3 yrs now, and it was working well. i got home 1350 since the 1st, worked properly for 10 days, then started acting up since sat (that i noticed)... i doubt its problem at my side, probably they messed around with wiring somewhere... even my other main phone line recently has "cross connection" when talking on the phone 🙂someone from bsnl called up and said they would change the wiring from their exchange upto my house and it would take 2-3 hours, but there have been a couple of disconnections already tonite and torrent speeds are low (10 to 35 kBps)...

No problem with speeds for me. Only problem is the frequent disconnection due to the modem restarting. No problem with the connection at all, except this one.:wall:

same was the problem since two days but got solved after repeated calling to bsnl personnels