BSNL Broadband is randomly redirecting users to their webmail service‽

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 146
  • Views Views 62,493

Sai

ISP
Tata
Anyone else witnessing automatic redirects to mail.bsnl.in site?. I use Google Chrome 43.0.2357.81 (64-bit). I don't have any scripts/ add-ons installed which might cause this. I use Ubuntu. So problem of virus is ruled out.

Idiots can't give stable internet connection. Above that, they throw ads. I don't pay monthly rentals to watch advt site while doing important things.

flIPNg5.png

so bsnl is just redirecting you to this site when you open any other website?

that's what i was asking. you just need to access any website and it randomly sends you to that mail page? awful.

Yes. Like after typing a long post and hitting "Post Reply". Instead of posting the message, it got redirected to that page couple of times.

can you try to use firefox for a few hours and see if it is happening there too?

Yes it's happening to me too. After some investigation I found out that as soon as I dial up by logging my credentials a browser is opened automatically either IE or FF and starts auto redirect to MSN While this is happening network icon in windows 8.1 is still showing not connected.

After a thorough investigation the following link helped me out technically - networking - Why does Windows 8 open Bing.com by itself? - Super User

At first I thought it's some virus or malware but my software's came up with nothing. I have uninstalled FF also for the same still IE is opened automatically after sometime I realized that mail.bsnl.in is being opened if not MSN. Hence above link gives some pointers to this problem.

Conclusion: As soon as I dial up with proper credentials network icon is showing a warning squibble for few seconds during which either IE or FF opens automatically and redirects to MSN.

Nice. I am not alone. I was thinking to give some peace of mind to BSNL folks.

Update:- Hasn't happened since last 3 hours. In both Chrome and Firefox.

Update:- This happens in all browsers. If broadband disconnects while some page was loading, it get's redirected to the mail.bsnl.in site once internet is connected.

I tried calling to BSNL district HQ. None picked up call. Anyone have high level contact details at BSNL? (KA/Delhi).

Do you use other DNS settings like Google DNS? 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or do you use default settings?