BSNL Broadband is randomly redirecting users to their webmail service‽

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 146
  • Views Views 62,470
@pothi Btw which plan did you opt for?

I am on 1445 (Upto 2 Mbps till 20 GB, 1 Mbps beyond 20 GB). I asked for VDSL plans. JTO said that I am the first to ask VDSL plan here. So, they need time to test it. They don't even have a VDSL modem to test it out themselves. So, he asked me to choose an ADSL plan and wait for a month. He was very helpful when I was using BSNL two years ago. Fortunately, he got promoted and moved to the place where I live now (Srivilliputhur). So, probably, I will be on a VDSL plan in a month, assuming everything goes according to the plan.

// Bsnl admits in RTI responses that they are indeed injecting ads on their broadband platform.

I read it too. Probably, they stopped showing ads now. Btw, are you "Sushubh" who took RTI initiative?

yup. i am no longer a bsnl user. but my cousin who lives here in gurgaon confirmed that ads are still being served on bsnl connections in my city.

Been a BSNL user for about 8 years. Apart from a few hiccups I get due to technical issues etc., I have never experienced any ads injected while I'm browsing or downloading anything.

I do get redirected to mail.bsnl.in once in a while but other than that I have no issues while browsing.

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: mail.bsnl.in
Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.102 Safari/537.36
DNT: 1
Referer: https://geforce.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
Cookie: _ga=GA1.2.1****8***3.146****039

I got the above detail using Packet Editor Named Software. Anyone Who Can Inspect it? Bsnl may be using cookie to invoke on re-connection to redirect to their mail service.

Edited: I have Tried Deleting Cookies But still Its redirecting.

Note: Added '*' in Cookie name for security Purpose.

Last edited:
Ads do get injected randomly, and for me the mail redirect happens when the connection trips and comes back online.

Register on selfcare.{s/w/e/n}dc.bsnl.co.in site(choose one depending on your area). They have a personalized customer portal, and it does have the option of changing your plan. I am currently using the 8 mbps 1745 VDSL plan on (guess what) an ADSL Wi-Fi modem from Asus. They have no way of even detecting which modem you use automatically.

whats the cure for this fucking auto redirect to mail.bsnl.in every once in a while ??

Anyone who is facing this issue it happens because your connection gets disconnected and when it reconnects and if open a new page its redirects to mail.bsnl.com. It happens every time your connection gets disconnects and reconnects. If you dont believe me just keep an eye on your modem.

Yup. That's what happens. When I was using a router on failover mode and when my primary ISP goes down and BSNL line is dialed and connected I immediately get redirected to this.

Anyone who is facing this issue it happens because your connection gets disconnected and when it reconnects and if open a new page its redirects to mail.bsnl.com. It happens every time your connection gets disconnects and reconnects. If you dont believe me just keep an eye on your modem.

That we know !

Whats the solution to redirects ?