BSNL Broadband is now offering 8mbps as minimum speeds on almost all their plans

Is BSNL Broadband capable of providing 8mbps speeds in your area?

• Total voters
Hi @Abhi1895, don't think of buying any streaming device if you are planning to stream HD on 2 Mbps connection. Minimum bandwidth for proper HD streaming is 4 Mbps. 2 Mbps only suitable for SD. I decided to buy the FireStick only cos of the Amazon sale and got it for 3150 instead of 4000. BTW I am on BSNL 675 connection.

Hi @Abhi1895, don't think of buying any streaming device if you are planning to stream HD on 2 Mbps connection. Minimum bandwidth for proper HD streaming is 4 Mbps. 2 Mbps only suitable for SD. I decided to buy the FireStick only cos of the Amazon sale and got it for 3150 instead of 4000. BTW I am on BSNL 675 connection.
Same here man. But do let me know your experience with fire tv stick. And it would be of immense help if you can create a guest network for fire tv stick and allocate 2 Mbps to that network so that it's performance can be measured on a 2Mbps line. Only if you're comfortable with that.

BSNL was in talks with Jio and Airtel for sharing their unused fibre a few days ago, so let's hope they come up soon with the required infra on a pan-India basis. 8 Mbps does sound a little far fetched for me at least since I am around 3 kms from the exchange and I barely got 3-3.5 Mbps on a 4 Mbps previously. Reckon BSNL has no option but to elevate their game since their 4g service is still in the pipeline and broadband is their main revenue generator.

Happy browsing might be extended until December 31 though I have no confirmed news on that but a chat with my circle JTO indicated that it might be the case since the BB249 plan had it's validity extended until December 31 already. This might attract more customers.

If Happy browsing is extended,the post-fup speeds will be 4 mbps or 8 mbps ?

Same here man. But do let me know your experience with fire tv stick. And it would be of immense help if you can create a guest network for fire tv stick and allocate 2 Mbps to that network so that it's performance can be measured on a 2Mbps line. Only if you're comfortable with that.

I sure will do the above and let you know, once I get the FireStick.

Its still bumming me out that they keep increasing pre fup speeds before considering post fup speeds.....i mean in this day and age,at the least there should be no limit on data usage,i ll be happy if they provide even 6 mbps without any fup limits.
Hopefully introduction of JIo fibre changes things more drastically..

Btw i just checked my line stats to see if i would be able to attain actual 10 mbps and seems like i should be able to ,ofcourse as long as the bsnl backend can handle it. Lets see.

If Happy browsing is extended,the post-fup speeds will be 4 mbps or 8 mbps ?

If it is extended, the post FUP speed will depend on your plan. The post FUP will be the same as your current Post fup. Only the Pre FUP will be 8/10 Mbps. What's your current plan?

Last edited:
Its still bumming me out that they keep increasing pre fup speeds before considering post fup speeds.....i mean in this day and age,at the least there should be no limit on data usage,i ll be happy if they provide even 6 mbps without any fup limits.
Hopefully introduction of JIo fibre changes things more drastically..

Absolutely agreed!! I don't see the point.of increasing the pre FUP speeds and providing a meagre data limit like 20-30 gbs. The post FUP speed is what will attract more customers. And if BSNL truly wants to give JIO and Airtel a run for their money they really need to increase the post FUP speeds.

BTW how did you check whether your line can support 8-10 mbps or not?

If it is extended, the post FUP speed will depend on your plan. The post FUP will be the same as your current Post fup. Only the Pre FUP will be 8/10 Mbps. What's your current plan?
My current plan is BBG Combo ULD 1199.