BSNL Broadband is blocking torrents/downloads?

• Thread starter Thread starter chruut
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 22,420

chruut

ISP
BSNL
Ok , This problem is happening since 4 days i have downloading this game and its still stuck on 80 percent First It came to mind something was wrong on second day it downloaded another 20 percent and some files not even finsihed in the downloadmanager so today i kept waking throught midnight to see what happens and at 3.45 it stopped downloading i restarted my comp it started downloading again but after few minutes it stopped so restarting 6 times it made me download to 50 percent a i have published this topic on every bsnl forum. anyone has this problem occurring please post it here.

I dont know about direct downloads, but BSNL is definitely messing up torrenting. If i disable encryption, the download speeds are of the order of 32-50kBps. On enabling encryption, it surges forth to 180-210kBps. This has been reported by many.

I dont know about direct downloads, but BSNL is definitely messing up torrenting. If i disable encryption, the download speeds are of the order of 32-50kBps. On enabling encryption, it surges forth to 180-210kBps. This has been reported by many.

cool_techie_tvm bro, could you please tell me from where we can disable encryption ? In Torrent Client or somewhere in Connection Settings. 🙂

PS: I use Azureus.

1. Go to: Tools > Options > Connection > Transport Encryption

2. Check the ‘require encrypted transport’ box.

3. Choose RC4 in the ‘minimum encryption’ dropdown box
note that RC4 uses more CPU time than the plain encryption or no encryption. It is however harder to identify for traffic shaping devices

4. You can choose to tick the ‘Allow non-encrypted outgoing connections if encrypted connection attempt fails’ box. This will ensure compatibility with clients that are not using encryption. However, it makes it easier for your ISP to detect BitTorrent traffic. I recommend that you try to tick this box first. If you are still not getting proper speeds untick it

5. Tick the ‘Allow non-encrypted incoming connections’ box

That’s it, your BitTorrent traffic is encrypted now. 🙂

As experienced by cool_techie it very well seems to be bsnl blocking torrents, also i like to point out that bsnl has very bad upload rate as compared to download rate, that can also get the user banned from certain trackers. But if the torrent is popular the DHT network should help over come that problem. In utorrent, use forced encryption to get better results. To check out total stats from the day of 1st use of utorrent goto help menu and click on statistics. I believe a reinstall of utorrent resets all these stats back to zero. To get a better upload/download ratio one can also select properties for a particular torrent and click the option for initial seeding.🙂

for me, enabling encryption in utorrent is slowing things down. must be people who are downloading pirated/illegal stuff in their countries use forced encryption hence here we get faster speeds for that content. for legal stuff i guess people dont enable encryption so there is no need for us to do so here either 😛try downloading a few legal linux ISO at the same time and see what speeds you get without encryption... im sure this torrent throttling issue is a myth...

^^ does it matter if the downloads are legal or not ? if an ISP throttles torrents , then speed will be low

I always keep it enabled.It's as usual as before regarding speed.I always use private torrents , never use public torrents fearing virus and spywares.

Its definitely not a myth as people all over the world use encryption.
If it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Multiple million minus one isn't really a big number is it?
Now most legal stuff is available through private trackers and DHT is not allowed in them mostly, hence fewer number of junk loaders.
Using private tracker helps mentain speeds as a lot of DHT network uploaders upload junk data and this ends up choking the swarm. So all peers take longer to rotate their que, which means longer wait period before the torrent download gets to full speed.🙂

I think its a nice suggestion from vishal to try out a few legal torrents through private tracker, before you can start blaming the ISP of torrent data capping. Slow speeds can be due to a bad torrent too.:thumbsup:

But i must add my man, calling this a myth will be both ignorant and arrogant.🙂

for me, enabling encryption in utorrent is slowing things down. must be people who are downloading pirated/illegal stuff in their countries use forced encryption hence here we get faster speeds for that content. for legal stuff i guess people dont enable encryption so there is no need for us to do so here either 😛

try downloading a few legal linux ISO at the same time and see what speeds you get without encryption... im sure this torrent throttling issue is a myth...

i must add
use ipfilter.dat to your torrent client, it will not let bad peers spoil you speed and avoid hashfalls.
Ideal to keep the DHT off..... as very less genuine user useing mainline.

Here is a youtube link on how to add ipfilter.dat to utorrent.🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no problem, i am getting constant 210-220KB/s speed at my private trackers daily,anyone got 245KB/s in torrent downloading in utorrent,i got 245-250KB/s only in mass downloader in direct download,i never got constant 245KB/s speed in torrent downloading..

thanks all for replies I have come to conclusion that the connection drop or slow speed is due to AVG 8 anti virus.can someone who is using old version of AVG download AVG 8 (grisoft dot com) and check if the speeds drop while browsing or download?preferably from the limited plan users.and forgot to tell you one thing make sure you uncheck the linkscanner in AVG 8 and disable it on Firefox if you use FF from addons or the bandwidth will run at superman speed.