BSNL broadband: Can't access websites while using a PPPoE connection

• Thread starter Thread starter LiNkEr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 107,980
@tamalM
http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=utstar300r2ubd8.jpg

Presuming the page will be similar for UT300R
I think , what you say you could change was MRU and not MTU.
The above page shows settings for Router "AlwaysOn " PPPoE/PPPoA mode.

for guidance:
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/86/4696/640/ppp.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/86/4696/640/bridging.jpg

For setting MTU you are referred to DRTCP!
DRTCP: How do I use it, & what are all these settings?

Please Post the DEVICE status page
showing firmware/software version etc. ( for my records only )

guys , thanks for respoding...here goes some more details

@essbebe/superprash2003: in my modem there no option to change MRU. In router mode I could set MTU only (in Wan->PPP->Add..)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9196/mtusetsa4.png

But these days Router mode don't work at all....weird! (Always get 'Fail toget IP Address' error...Link Up message comes after 20-30min...DSLAM issues i guess)

Anyway, I'm back in Bridge mode and I found that the built in PPPoE client for Vista uses an MTU that is set to 1480. My NIC MTU was set to 1490. So, I had to further change it using following command set. Please Note: Dr.TCP won't work in Vista.

ping Google -f -l 1442
netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface \"9\" mtu=1470 store=persistent

20 bytes are reserved for the IP header and 8 bytes must be allocated for the ICMP Echo Request header...so

1442+28=1470 is the optimum, so far.

Modem details: UTStarcom 300R (Black)
Model: Viking
H/W Version: 810020
S/W Version: VIK-2.1.040131c DSL Version: Y1.16.3
Standard: G.dmt

Other Details:
Local Tx Power: 9.34 dB
Remote Tx Power: 19.51 dB
Local Line Atten.: 8.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 3.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 37.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 31.0 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Trellis Coding: Enable
Framing Structure: Framing-3

Is that all OK?? I'm on Home UL+ (256kbps) plan but getting speed close to 100kbps🙁

@tamalM
SUMMARY REPORT : POSTS 71 to 78.
1.... UT-300R ADSL MODEM MULTIUSER CONFIGURATION
.......... this is for "Always On" connection. slightly different instructions. ???
2 DRTCP: How do I use it, & what are all these settings?
how to configure MTU values in windows - Google Search

Please Note: Dr.TCP won't work in Vista
..........[ DRTCP : asked to go for Refresher for VISTA ! ( refuses!!! Also Vista ...........settings different. see Post 77.)
3.......... Appreciate , if you can post Screen shot of Device details
..............so that i can add to my database ( or bookmarks ).Thanks.
4............. Hope your problem accessing Websites solved.
5...............Have you disabled IPV6 in TCP/IP properties?
6................Try entering UserID without @ bsnl. in or @ dataone .in

Hello people,Need help.I have a BSNL dataone connection with WA1003A modem, it has one network cable point and is also a wireless modem.I have a desk top PC and a Laptop. I am able to browse all sites on the desktop that is connected to the modem via the network cable. However on the laptop, I am not able to open all URLS(sites) that require signing in. For example, yahoo mail, gmail, hotmail, Icici bank, etc.Please help.

Hello people,
Need help.
I have a BSNL dataone connection with WA1003A modem, it has one network cable point and is also a wireless modem.
I have a desk top PC and a Laptop. I am able to browse all sites on the desktop that is connected to the modem via the network cable. However on the laptop, I am not able to open all URLS(sites) that require signing in. For example, yahoo mail, gmail, hotmail, Icici bank, etc.

Please help.
Have you enabled DHCP ?
In Laptop TCP/IP Obtain IP address automatically.
IN DNS try open dns 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
see earlier post about DRTCP. Post 78.

also ensure that you are on PPoE mode.. i.e. automatic dialing mode where your internet works as soon as you switch on your modem.. are you in ppoe mode?

also ensure that you are on PPoE mode.. i.e. automatic dialing mode where your internet works as soon as you switch on your modem.. are you in ppoe mode?

I tried, but it is not working, do I need to reinstall OS (XP)?

DO you use Opendns servers as mentioned earlier?

I use the following
IP address: 192.168.1.110
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 218.248.240.23

And the only difference in the desktop is the IP address which is 192.168.1.100
In the desktop I am able to open all sites. The problem is only in the laptop which is connect wirelessly.

3 most probably reasons1) virus or spyware - scan for them - update antivirus/antispyware2)mtu problem - change mtu values3)dns problem - change to opendns all these solutions have been discussed in the previous page, try them all

Subject: Restricted access to sites?

Dear Linker:

I had been facing the same problem on my Windows XP2 in not being able to access any site of Yahoo! be it e-mail or its Messenger 9. How I sorted it out on my BSNL broadband is as follows:

1. Change your Primary and Alternate DNS Configurations to as follows:

Right click you broadband connectivity icon, then click on properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click at Use the following DNS sever addresses and change them to:
Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

This may take you to openDNS guide where you would need to register and need not subscribe to anything there at all.

2. What has PPPoE dialup to do with broadbands, which is an always on connectivity? Delete Dataone dialup from your Internet Explorer>>Connections and make a shortcut to your desktop of Local Area Connection BSNL and connect via that.

That will do the trick.

I seldom visit this forum as its pages open ever so slowly.:frown:

Lolz guys me too have the same problem with BSNL 750UL plan. Nothing can be done as these sites has blocked some IPs of the BSNL users 117.xxx.xxx.xxx but dont know why:huh:. One thing that i use is that the software Invisible Browsing and integrate it with google chrome and open link-removed.org and all. It works fine. U can also use proxy sites also but in these cases the search option in link-removed most of the time doesnot work specially when u input a long string in the search box.

Its been a problem since the January 2009. I cannot open some websites like google, orkut, wikipedia and a lot more. I noticed that mainly heavy websites are blocked or unable to load. I use windows vista ultimate and it was working fine. The problem forced me to format and reset my new connection. I used TCPOptimizer and also changed MTU for results. But cannot say it is improving. The fact is that I use IE7 and google chrome. The websites i mentioned before loads sometime and sometime fails. What is wrong with it ? I am trying to believe it is a BSNL problem. Is it so ?

Well its bad to know that problem is not mine alone. What are they doing ? I cannot even ask the officials cause they even know less than me. Someone among them told me once that the "download speed of 500 c plan is 1.4 Gbps !" So it is better that someone in forum confirms it as a BSNL problem. More blacklisted people...more safe thoughts....!😗