BSNL broadband: Can't access websites while using a PPPoE connection

• Thread starter Thread starter LiNkEr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 107,973

LiNkEr

ISP
NIB 2
Hi, I got a new BSNL broadband connection last week. I am on NIB 2(ip 117.xxx.xxx.xxx). I am using Type 2 Utstarcom wa3002 router with my connection. The problem that I am facing is, I cant open or access certain sites like microsoft.com, mail.yahoo.com ,icicibank.com, link-removed.com etc.. Rest all sites like google,this site etc open normally.What I did to overcome the problem1).Tried OpenDNS, 4.2.2.2 and all DNS available from BSNL2). Change the MTU setting to 1492 from 15003).Disabling the firewall of the router.But still, there seems to be no change in the problem.When I called up dataone center, they were all acting like noobs telling me to change DNS and stuff like that:ashamed:. When I access the sites via proxy, they work fine and whats more, I downloaded VS 2008 from microsoft(3.3GB) without any problems, cuz I had the direct download link for that. Any suggestions that anyone would like to give?🙂Regards,LiNkEr

members/linker/
Welcome to broadbandforum.co
1.You can try open dns 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.
2. How you connect in Dialer mode(using WANminiport dialer) or "Always on" PPP/PPPoE?
3. Start/ run type cmd type ipconfig/all Please post data for analysis.
4. Check security settings IN IE for secure sites. add them to the list. (https://

REF :
UTSTARCOM WA3002-G1 MULTIUSER GUIDE FOR BSNL DATAONE USERS - India Broadband Wiki
WA3002-g1 ADSL MODEM (Type-II) MENU

PS: don't forget to obtain a 14digit portal ID and password to check your usage. at
http://bbservice.bsnl.in/
If on unlimited plan, then also required for change of user password.

Try Mozilla Firefox and see if u r able to access those sites, by d way what message r u getting when u r try to access those sites??

Thanks 🙂
I dont get any message while opening them, the browser(both FireFox/IE) keeps on 'waiting', so you see there is no issue with DNS resolving. I have "Always On" connection in the router settings. Actually I am on UL750+, so i dont check the usage, but still bbservice.bsnl.in is also not accesible!!😕 (browser keeps on waiting), I have tried Vista,XP,Linux and MAC(all of them 😛), from my macbook,PC and an extra laptop for connecting.. but the same problem persists in all OS'es. Here is tracert data for google and microsoft.

microsoft.com
Code:
Tracing route to microsoft.com [207.46.232.182]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1

@ LiNkEr : Yeah, same problem with me. :wall: BSNL portal is not opening and I can't check if my plan has been changed to UL750 or not. :wall:
And some sites are not opening and some are opening very slow since yesterday. :wall:

/members/linker/
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
\
select Default . ( In TCP/IP properties Advanced page )
Also in Laptop/desktop computer disable IPV6

I did what you said. Still , there seems to be no change? I mean , these setting apply to any packet transfer over TCP/IP.. then how can it effect just some particular sites?BSNL people dont seem to understand the problem, so I m totally helpless.🙁

which is the firewall and AV u r using??if possible, shut down both firewall and AV for some time and see weather you are able to open those sites

I closed my firewall(Outpost) and AV(Nod32). The sites still dont open. And I can open google,gmail and other sites without problem. There is problem with these specific sites :mirosoft.comhotmail.comcodeguru.comnovocained.comthepiratebay.orgicicibank.comThere are some more, like techenclave etc and yahoomail doesnt open after signing in. Is it some routing problem from BSNL servers?

I had exactly the same issue. I was not able to access certain sites like microsoft.com and driveragent.com but other sites like google.co.in are accessible. It turned out to be a simple default MTU setting = 1500 that windows XP uses. Setting it to 1454 resoved the issue. for this you need to update the registry and reboot the machine, or you can download TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe and change the MTU to 1454 or 1492. First try 1454 to see if this works. Then try 1492 to see if that works. Every time you change this you need to reboot the machine.

I think issue happens, when you use router along with dsl modem. In my case,
BSNL Modem is ZXDSL 831AII and router is
Vonage Motorola VT2142. My router is setup to connect to DSL Model using PPPoE connection. I do not use dialer on my desktop.

This sets up persistent connection.

Manual registry modifiaction instructions is also located at Annoyances.org - Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection
(Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection ). I am copying the same here if you can not access it.

If you're using Windows' built-in support for Internet Connection Sharing, and your Internet connection is facilitated by PPPoE software (such as Enternet 300) or Windows XP's built-in PPPoE, you may experience this problem. Although any web site will be accessible on the "Host" computer, certain web sites will never load successfully from any of the "client" machines. (If you don't know what "Hosts" or "Clients" are with regard to ICS, read Internet Connection Sharing.) The problem is caused by an incompatible MTU networking setting: Windows' default is 1500, but PPPoE uses 1492 or 1454. Here's how to fix it:

[*]Find the IP address of your gateway. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, run IPCONFIG at a command prompt on the Host computer. If you're using Windows 98 or Me, run WINIPCFG on the Host computer. Either way, you'll get an address that looks like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's represent numbers).
[*]Then, go to one of your Client machines, and type the following: PING -f -l 1500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the gateway address you obtained in the first step). You'll probably get an error message indicating that it must be fragmented. If you do, type the following: PING -f -l 1492 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx If that doesn't work, try this: PING -f -l 1454 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[*]The numbers in each of these examples (1500, 1492, 1454) are the MTU values. Continue issuing this command with lower and lower MTU numbers until you get ping responses instead of an error message. The highest MTU value that works is the one you need to be using. If an MTU of 1500 (the first command, above) does not produce an error, then this solution won't work for you.
[/list] The next step is to configure all your Client computers to use the new, lower MTU as the default for all Internet communication. Windows 2000 and XP:

[*]Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your "Client" machines.
[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.
[*]There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter; it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like 192.168.0.x.
[*]Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.
[*]Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
[*]Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
[*]Repeat this for each Client machine.
[/list] Windows 98/Me:

[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Class\ Net\.
[*]Under that branch, find a key (numbered, such as 0005) that contains has TCP/IP assigned to the DriverDesc value.
[*]Select New from the Edit menu, then String Value, and type MaxMTU for the name of the new value.
[*]Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
[*]Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
[/list]

Symptoms:
You can connect to certain sites but not others. Simple example is you can not connect to microsoft.com. msn.com, hotmail.com but can access to google.com, google.co.in. This list may very. After searching various web sites, i finally found the solution. Changing the MTU to 1454 resolved the issue.

See my response to one another post and how to change the MTU

I had exactly the same issue. I was not able to access certain sites like microsoft.com and driveragent.com but other sites like google.co.in are accessible. It turned out to be a simple default MTU setting = 1500 that windows XP uses. Setting it to 1454 resoved the issue. for this you need to update the registry and reboot the machine, or you can download TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe and change the MTU to 1454 or 1492. First try 1454 to see if this works. Then try 1492 to see if that works. Every time you change this you need to reboot the machine.

I think issue happens, when you use router along with dsl modem. In my case,
BSNL Modem is ZXDSL 831AII and router is
Vonage Motorola VT2142. My router is setup to connect to DSL Model using PPPoE connection. I do not use dialer on my desktop.

This sets up persistent connection.

Manual registry modifiaction instructions is also located at Annoyances.org - Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection
(Can't access some websites while using a shared PPPoE connection ). I am copying the same here if you can not access it.

If you're using Windows' built-in support for Internet Connection Sharing, and your Internet connection is facilitated by PPPoE software (such as Enternet 300) or Windows XP's built-in PPPoE, you may experience this problem. Although any web site will be accessible on the "Host" computer, certain web sites will never load successfully from any of the "client" machines. (If you don't know what "Hosts" or "Clients" are with regard to ICS, read Internet Connection Sharing.) The problem is caused by an incompatible MTU networking setting: Windows' default is 1500, but PPPoE uses 1492 or 1454. Here's how to fix it:

[*]Find the IP address of your gateway. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, run IPCONFIG at a command prompt on the Host computer. If you're using Windows 98 or Me, run WINIPCFG on the Host computer. Either way, you'll get an address that looks like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's represent numbers).
[*]Then, go to one of your Client machines, and type the following: PING -f -l 1500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the gateway address you obtained in the first step). You'll probably get an error message indicating that it must be fragmented. If you do, type the following: PING -f -l 1492 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx If that doesn't work, try this: PING -f -l 1454 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[*]The numbers in each of these examples (1500, 1492, 1454) are the MTU values. Continue issuing this command with lower and lower MTU numbers until you get ping responses instead of an error message. The highest MTU value that works is the one you need to be using. If an MTU of 1500 (the first command, above) does not produce an error, then this solution won't work for you.
[/list] The next step is to configure all your Client computers to use the new, lower MTU as the default for all Internet communication. Windows 2000 and XP:

[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.
[*]There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter; it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like 192.168.0.x.
[*]Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.
[/list] Windows 98/Me:

[*]Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Class\ Net\.
[*]Under that branch, find a key (numbered, such as 0005) that contains has TCP/IP assigned to the DriverDesc value.
[*]Select New from the Edit menu, then String Value, and type MaxMTU for the name of the new value.

For vista, use the following for updating the MTU.List all interfaces and the MTU Listing.
netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

For setting MTU=1454, open the command prompt as administrator by right clicking on accessiories -> Command Prompt (Select Run as administrator).

netsh interface ipv4 subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1454 store=persistent

netsh interface ipv4 subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1454 store=persistent
[/list]

please try using opendns servers as mentioned earlier.. their ips are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 .. also try accessing microsoft website through their ip address which is 207.46.197.32 .. so you have to try opening this http://207.46.197.32..
for hotmail it is 64.4.32.7 so try opening this Sign In

WOW!!!IT WORKED.. I did change the MTU setting to 1492 before, but the setting that worked was 1454😉 ... I cant believe that it was soo simple😕 ..wasted so much time and energy calling people from BSNL. ket000, u rocked my day!😀, Thanks buddy., maybe someone should sticky the solution posted my ket000, cuz many people must be facing these problems.

@essbebe
Thanks for all the help. My router page looks like this, its an year old firmware, but whatever.