BSNL Broadband 5 KM. Radius Limit

• Thread starter Thread starter santhu74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,406

santhu74

ISP
Airtel
Dear Friends, I had applied for BSNL Broadband connection. But BSNL people are telling that it is not technically feasible to give connection via land line. They can give only upto 100 mtrs from my home (Because of 5 K.M radius from the BSNL Exchange). My home will be around 4 KM from exchange. I am wondering how can there be a restriction, since private providers like Airtel or Tata have fewer exchanges and are giving broadband in most of the places where there are more subscribers. Can any one please tell about the technical restrictions ?Thanks In Advance With RegardsSanthanam

I had applied for BSNL Broadband connection. But BSNL people are telling that it is not technically feasible to give connection via land line. They can give only upto 100 mtrs from my home (Because of 5 K.M radius from the BSNL Exchange). My home will be around 4 KM from exchange.

Hello Santhu saar, sorry to hear your troubles as I suffer from heat in Rajasthan.

Even if the home is only 4 KM from DSLAM, the cable routing might make its length over 5 km. If BSNL are refusing outright (and are not using it as an excuse since they are out of ports), it might mean that they know the service will be extremely poor due to high noise and poor signal due to long distances.

My own house is nearly 5 KM from BSNL exchange, I get 1400 kilobits/seconds, not 2000+ as some here get. Perhaps I was fortunate they gave me connection at all.

I am wondering how can there be a restriction, since private providers like Airtel or Tata have fewer exchanges and are giving broadband in most of the places where there are more subscribers.

An entire "exchange" is not required to give ADSL connection, operator needs an equipment called DSLAM. If the private operator has DSLAM installed within certain distance from your home, they will be able to offer ADSL, otherwise they too might refuse!!

It is not worthwile to wait for BSNL to improve its network, you must know they make a snail's pace look like Cheetah. Better start applying to private ISPs, expensive as they might be.

There is a wll connection for 144 Kbps. You can try it if all fails. It is unlimited too.