BSNL BB stuck on 8Mbps on 20Mbps plan.

Update:
I got in contact with the JTO, he said that 8Mbps is the max speed my line can handle. 🙁
He also added that there are faults in the underground cables which can't be repaired that easily.
Though my Downstream SNR is 24, the Upstream SNR is quite low at 5db

I insisted on raising the rate cap to 16Mbps, but he explained that it's of no use as he had already tested and decided to keep it stable at 8Mbps.

I'm changing to FTTH soon as its available in my city.

Thanks anyways.

The OS decides what needs to be given priority. Even mac hangs up all the browsing activity when downloading security updates *manually*. So, it gives priority to download of security updates over any other activity.

Some OSes are smart enough to give higher priority to browsers. You may try a live linux system on a USB drive.

Why not use OpenWrt.

Using the modem in bridge mode and configuring the PPPoE settings in an OpenWrt router configured with SQM will provide much better internet stability while downloading/uploading with almost constant ping, perfect for gaming, with torrent downloading/seeding in the background.

Edit: OpenWrt is a custom open-source firmware for routers with lots of software features. SQM or Smart Queue Management is used in scheduling the network packets, useful for multi-user setup or for a heavy-user. Optimizes network performance, removes bufferbloat. You can also use OpenWrt to aggregate multiple WAN connections, for downloading files with torrent or download managers. And also load-balance the network, which gives a seamless browsing experience as the load is spread across different connections(Doesn't works on https sites unless ipset is configured).

Last edited:
The bandwidth allocation is done by the OS even before it is processed by the router or the modem.

If I let a zip file to upload and then let a movie file to download, both would happen at full speed as both are independent.

But, when I let the zip file to upload and start browsing sites like broadbandfoeum.co, then this browsing activity requires a tiny bit of upload bandwidth that is already taken over by zip file upload, resulting the site to never load.

What most people don't understand is that browsing the internet requires both upload bandwidth and download bandwidth. But, everyone expects to browse the internet normally using a browser of their choice when uploading a mega zip file. It just doesn't work in BSNL's ADSL. With FTTH, there will always be a buffer in upload bandwidth. So, uploading and internet browsing can be done together.

Yes, you're correct.

Most ISP provides 1:1 speed ratio(download:upload), I don't know about BSNL FTTH.

Let's say, you're uploading over FTP, so the router recognizes the outgoing traffic over port 21.
And you opened your browser and pointed to youtube.com. If you're using a router configured with QoS, the DNS queries will be given a higher priority. And as the connection is 1:1, the browsing will be normal.

Same with the download, let's say I'm utilizing the full bandwidth of my connection to download a zip file. All the bandwidth will be drawn by the download manager, and my ping will hugely degrade.
So, in those cases, SQM is very much effective, we can set the limit to say, 85% of the bandwidth and reserve the rest. This will ensure constant ping and no bufferbloat.

Never worked with BSNL FTTH, OpenWRT or with SQM / QoS.

I have BSNL ADSL and Airtel VDSL (8mbps down / 3mbps up).

Update:
I got in contact with the JTO, he said that 8Mbps is the max speed my line can handle. 🙁
He also added that there are faults in the underground cables which can't be repaired that easily.
Though my Downstream SNR is 24, the Upstream SNR is quite low at 5db

I insisted on raising the rate cap to 16Mbps, but he explained that it's of no use as he had already tested and decided to keep it stable at 8Mbps.

I'm changing to FTTH soon as its available in my city.

Thanks anyways.
He is lying,they are kaam choor people ask him to do it and than let us see,they are hesitant to work.

Do you use any kind of load balancer for the two connections?

No. Both are installed in different places (home / work).

JioFi is my alternate connection. I have a Mikrotik router with USB connectivity to connect LTE modems (such as JioFi). It offers load balancing with LTE or with any other secondary connection, but I don't know how to use it. 😉 So far, I am able to switch to JioFi manually using a built-in command. It is a pain to learn to use it. Just learned about a button (called mode button) that can be customized to do anything within the router, like switching to the alternative connection when the main connection goes off. But, can't complain much as it offers the best value for money as a router (with tons of features such as load balancing, auto-failover, etc).

He is lying,they are kaam choor people ask him to do it and than let us see,they are hesitant to work.

The data rate was 8191Kbps on Thursday, it went down back to 2048Kbps on Friday morning. I got hold of the JTO's contact number, I'm ringing him up.
This is not my primary connection, so, BSNL at 1MBps is okay to pass the vacation.
Anyways, 1MBps is enough for streaming Netflix and YouTube at 1080p.

No. Both are installed in different places (home / work).

JioFi is my alternate connection. I have a Mikrotik router with USB connectivity to connect LTE modems (such as JioFi). It offers load balancing with LTE or with any other secondary connection, but I don't know how to use it. 😉 So far, I am able to switch to JioFi manually using a built-in command. It is a pain to learn to use it. Just learned about a button (called mode button) that can be customized to do anything within the router, like switching to the alternative connection when the main connection goes off. But, can't complain much as it offers the best value for money as a router (with tons of features such as load balancing, auto-failover, etc).

Care to mention the model?

The best part of MikroTik router is the RouterOS. Lots of useful functional features. Sadly, RouterOS is limited to specific devices.
I've used a 5Ghz Wireless CPE from MikorTek, was surprised to see so much software features already built-in.

The data rate was 8191Kbps on Thursday, it went down back to 2048Kbps on Friday morning. I got hold of the JTO's contact number, I'm ringing him up.
This is not my primary connection, so, BSNL at 1MBps is okay to pass the vacation.
Anyways, 1MBps is enough for streaming Netflix and YouTube at 1080p.
That means u went to 2mbps from 8mbps

You should be persist him to increase your line rate to atleast 16mbps which will be highly stable according to your line parameters