BSNL BB stuck on 8Mbps on 20Mbps plan.

ISP
BSNL, Railwire
TL;DR: New BB connection, (previously surrendered) ULD300GB plan (Base-I-H-DLY-20MB-10G-1MB-M), 20Mbps up to 10GB/day, the first week: ADSL data rate stuck at 2048Kbps, after numerous calls to 1500 and a visit to the exchange partially solved my problem, from 2Mbps to 8Mbps. Now stuck at 8Mbps.

I have used ADSL BB connection earlier. Had to move to new college, so surrendered only the BB connection. After 2 years, I moved back home and subscribed to the ULD300GB plan which states 20Mbps up-to 10GB/day and 1Mbps beyond. On 24th I got the call about activation of the connection, configured the modem and found downloads speeds to hover around 150-170 KBps. The next day I raised a complaint online about slow speeds and also called 1500 stating the problem. customer services added 3 days every time I made the call. after a week of calling 1500 I went to the exchange and told them about the problem, they checked it and acknowledge that it would be solved by the evening, and surely they did solve it, but only to 8Mbps. Now I'm stuck at 8Mbps (800-900KBps).

I'm fed up with BSNL, but I don't have any alternatives, they haven't started FTTH services yet in my city. And switching service providers is not always possible, because of the high installation cost.

I'll pay a visit to the exchange and mention the persistence on the problem.

Any users having the ULD300GB plan getting full bandwidth?

Also,
Earlier, ADSL status was:
Code:
                SNR:                37.2         16.6

Attenuation: 24.2         15.9

Data Rate:     2048       507

Max Rate:      23656      852

Now, ADSL status is:
Code:
                SNR:                20.9         5.5

Attenuation: 22.7         15.6

Data Rate:     8191         768

Max Rate:      22980     752
What caused the huge difference in SNR Margin. Is the terrible upload speeds normal for ADSL?

PS: this is my first post here, please pardon any mistakes.

Ask JTO to update line rate

You can easily get ur line rate increased to 20mbps,visit your exchange and look for jto and ask him to change ur line rate according to your plan,if you can’t visit the exchange go to your bsnl circle website and find the contact details of the concerned if your lucky if not you can contact the commercial officer who shall provide you the number of the concerned.

Ask JTO to update line rate
yeah, thanks. I'm paying a visit to the exchange again. Last time I went there, they said they don't have the authorization and it should be done from the head exchange office. Maybe the JTO at the other exchange mistook another plan with that of mine.

You can easily get ur line rate increased to 20mbps,visit your exchange and look for jto and ask him to change ur line rate according to your plan,if you can’t visit the exchange go to your bsnl circle website and find the contact details of the concerned if your lucky if not you can contact the commercial officer who shall provide you the number of the concerned.
The bsnl circle website only has the contact number of the SDE, tried ringing the number earlier, no response. And, also I doubt the website has been updated in a long time. I've no choice other than visiting the exchange again.

The BB plan when checked on the portal is displayed as "Base-I-H-DLY-20MB-10G-1MB-M", So, I should be getting 20Mbps according to this, right?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of reality.

Please see the pinned post in BSNL broadband section, particularly SNR Margin & Line Attenuation Rate - What does your stats mean. | BSNL Broadband .

Also, please search the forum for the term 20mbps to understand how everything fits together to get the speed that you get now.

tl;dr - your house / business needs to be inside the BSNL exchange in order to get 20mbps using ADSL.

I live about a km distance (road distance) from the nearest exchange. I have the landline connection since the early 2000s. Have used dial-up back then. Still on the same copper cable, has 2 joints.

Will replacing the copper cable and replacing the RJ11 jacks give me a sustainable increase in SNR Margin? The terminating unit and the RJ11 jacks are covered in carbon. I did replace all the RJ11 cables once, carbon still collects on the pins.

Will BSNL replace the copper wire that's coming to the house?
I have a crimping tool, I'll get some RJ11 and crimp them myself.

That's nice to know @Nikhil Sharma .

Theoritically, it is possible to get 20mbps. Asymmetric digital subscriber line - Wikipedia . In practice, only a few people can get such speeds.

Replacing copper wires depends entirely on how the wiring is done in old days. The decision is entirely based on the local exchange. Some people can get it done for no money. Some others can never get it done for any amount of money.

@pothi offtopic; when I upload something via ADSL my internet gets slow I can’t even browse the internet. Now I’m moving to FTTH will I have the same problem?

No, not with FTTH due to the availability of higher upload bandwidth. ADSL upload bandwidth on BSNL is capped at 750kbps.

Thanks. Which means I’ll be able to upload and download at the same time correct?

The thing I did not understand that why doesn’t ADSL keep both bandwidth separate? Like the upload 750kbps should be used for upload and I should have my download 10,000kbps for download.

Sorry for sounding noob.

Which means I’ll be able to upload and download at the same time correct?

Yes.

When you upload and consecutively browse (or search on google.com), the browse needs to send / upload information in order to get info back. For example, at first it asks for DNS info for google.com, then it establishes SSL connection to google.com, then it sends the query to google.com. All the three steps (DNS, SSL, sending the query) requires some upload bandwidth. When another upload is already in progress, that upload takes away all the available upload bandwidth, leaving any other activity to squeeze through whatever little upload bandwidth the connection has.

The OS decides what needs to be given priority. Even mac hangs up all the browsing activity when downloading security updates *manually*. So, it gives priority to download of security updates over any other activity.

Some OSes are smart enough to give higher priority to browsers. You may try a live linux system on a USB drive.