BSNL average download/upload limit

• Thread starter Thread starter cooldude
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 11,407

cooldude

Hi,Im planning to take bsnl broadband connection (256kbps option)..the maximumdownload/upload limit specified is 1GB. So I wanted to know if its commonto cross the 1gb limit every month say if I browse for 2-3 hours every day?Also even if I keep my system on without doing any browsing there will besome data flow happening since I'm connected to the net .. so will it add on to this limit??

Although I am inherently philsophically opposed to the idea of data transfer limits for boadband connections, a 1GB limit would be fine for you, as long as you are only browsing for a few hours a days. It's up to you to figure out whether you would ever need to download any big files, and whether you would ever be tempted into downloading movies/mp3s (in which case an Airtel unlimited connection would be better or you).There will be some data transfer if you keep your computer connected - which would be due to things like windows update, your anti-virus definitions updating, etc (which are useful). I would be especially careful of getting spyware as those will just add up to your usage for no useful reason. So, if you want to leave your comp on and connected for whatever reason:#1) Make sure you use a good Anti-virus (there are several free oens available like Avast, Nod32 etc.) and set them to update automatically #2) Download, update and Run Spybot - S&D, and Lavasoft Ad-aware to clean your system of spyware.#3) Use a firewall - if you use XP SP2 there would be one built in, or download a free one like Sygate.

As far as the datalimit is concerned, it is 1 gb / month. This translates to 33.33 MB of upload+download every day which should suffice the needs of users like u who want to browse for 2-3 hours. You can also download large files say, 15 MB approx. occasionally and this scheme will keep ur usage under the limit. Install DUMETER to keep track of data uploaded+downloaded. Remember DUMeter shows about 5% extra for overheads. Make a habit of turning OFF the modem when not in use. It will extend modem life and minimize extra data being transferred. Install Bitdefender 8 Professional Plus ( Antivirus+Firewall+Antispam ), My rating = 5 stars! And plz plz plz don't use SP2 on WinXP, its sh*t.
U will get good speeds and service from DataOne 256kbps plan, go for it !
If u need keys for above softwares, contact me at agnivo.roy@gmail.com as it is restricted on this forum.

Now why would someone even consider taking a 256kbps "always on" broadband line instead of using the good old dial up networking, especially when we have Rs.499/- per month unlimited internet phone form BSNL/MNTL and Tata Indicom is offering unlimited dialup @ Rs.7 per day?As far as my stupid logic goes, it is because 🙁1) People want to stay on-line for longer period, say at least 4 to 5 hours per day on an average, or even longer, like me, and(2) People want higher quantity of traffic, hence the need for 256K connection and not 56K dial-up.Simple knowledge about internet says that a 256K Broadband would give a throughput of about 100 megabytes per hour on an average. And this is what people want to get with a 256K line otherwise why on earth should one take a 256K line? So, this boils down to the fact that your 1 GB limit is gone in 2 days. After that you will be robbed by the BSNL @ Rs2 per MB of data. Now consider this:On a standard 56K dialup line, you will get about 15 MB of data per hour (I even get higher, about 18 to 20 MB per hour). If you use any standard telephone line (not Internet Phone), you will pay for 20 calls per hour, i.e., Rs.1.10 per call if paid by India Telephone Card. So hourly PSTN charge is Rs.22 only. The BSNL/MNTL ISP chrage is Rs.6 per hour. So your net cost per hour is Rs.28 and you get 15MB of data. Thus, the cost is Rs.1.87 per MB!!!!!!!!So, Dial-up is not costly after all!!!! Thanks to BSNL for this incredible phenomemon where broadband is costlier than dial-up!! I myself has been downloading about 7 GB of data per month with dialup networking with a monthly cost of Rs.900/- (including service tax). Those who says that 1 GB per month limit for 256 K Boradband is suffice, either do not have the very sense of broadband internet or are with the BSNL.They should learn that people do not take broadband only for occasional e-mails, chatting or anti virus updates. When even the free mailboxes (GMail for example)have inflated their size to 1 GB, giving 1 GB montly limit is nothing but cheating.

PujajiWhat u say is good if one is ready to settle for slower speed but get access to higher d/l. But say someone like me who does nto reach 500 mb or max 800 would be happy with a Home 500 ( 256 speed ) so that I have faster surfing.Its each ones way of using the net. I think u r better off with thr 710 cost by splitting 499 plus 210. Bharat

Originally posted by puja399@Apr 30 2005, 11:24 PM
I myself has been downloading about 7 GB of data per month with dialup networking with a monthly cost of Rs.900/- (including service tax).

Those who says that 1 GB per month limit for 256 K Boradband is suffice, either do not have the very sense of broadband internet or are with the BSNL.

[snapback]8653[/snapback]
[/quote]

Theoretically, if u get the max speed for the modem @7KBps and keep the computer running 24x7, u'd get aound 14GB of data p.m.. 7GB is not bad for a modem but u need to have a very good and consistent connection for that and need to keep the computer running all day of the month. Not many have that good dialup connection or can keep the computer running all day (only to return frm work to find that connection disconnected after 1 hrs.).

But there are other considerations, e.g. what is the nature of software u r downloading. Surely its not the run of the mill demo versions of softwares - they r available in any decent CDs that comes with computer mags. But the real things r available in the IRC chatrooms, thru peer-to-peer s/w etc. Many of the peer to peer s/w like emule require u to upload and download simultaneously - ur download speeds would be reduced if u simultaneously upload thru dialup. Not so in ADSL. There r many sites which allow u to download for a short time bfore they block access. Without a fast connection u cant dream of downloading anything frm them. IRC chatrooms put u in a long Q and in case of any disconnection, u r kicked out of the Q - so the quicker u download the better. Evidently, a 24 hr. unattended dial-up connexn is not suitable for that.

That said, obviously the 1 GB limit is not suitable for that kind of download. But neither is the 24x7 dialup. One is limited by data transfer and the other by its speed. Inspite of the lower cost, a dialup is not suitable for the nature of data that I want to download.

So what do I gain from having a fast ADSL with a fixed cost and 1 GB limit? Well I get to see the sites faster, upload data to the sites that I own faster, check my 10 gmail and hotmail accts faster, get to upload photos to yahoo faster, get less radiation frm the monitor and lesser chance of getting RSI, can chat and video conference in almost real time with my frnds abroad, get the occasional MP3s and small softwares faster, save electricity by not having to run my computer overnight and peace of mind with lesser chance of disconncetion - all for Rs.500 with 1 GB limits. I think that's cost effective for me even for all its disadvantages. If they increase the limit, I'd perhaps download some more s/w and music, but the basic advantages remain the same 4 me.

Very well summed up. I dunno rates in other countries but 500 bucks for 1 gb sounds fair.But who does not mind a higher limit of d/l.

One of my friend staying at US and I just asked him. He is a subscriber of Earthlink and he gave me the following link for the DSL Connection (seems actually to be an ADSL connection but they call it DSL anyway) that he has subscribed to - https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsis...UzDR66kK2CHLBwz

It seems for the Earthlink Basic DSL option, the speed is 384 downlink and 128 uplink.

And here's the price (including modem etc.) - https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsis...UzDR66kK2CHLBwz

Read the fineprint too. They also bundle webspace etc. $40 per month (first 6 months $20) is not a bad deal. Nothing mentioned about data transfer limit - I guess they can't imagine having a data transfer limit 🤔 since they compared the pricing with an unlimited plan. My frnd said that it was unlimited. Check out the FAQs -

https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsis...UzDR66kK2CHLBwz

BSNL's comparable plan is Home 1000. http://www.calcuttatelephones.com/tariff_broadband.shtml

Price is almost the same considering the additional things offered in US. The only problem is the data transfer limit.

The prices will fall or the limits will rise in India too. Patience - as the industry is seeing a price revolution.

They are a confused lot right now for past 1 yr about internet. They dont know how to price it and are not also confident about the product if theirs shall be stable or not. I have spoken to some seniors at Kolkata and their answer gave me this impression. I know they wont lie to me as that does not make them gain anything. And there is nothing secret about it.But then once they do launch it and price is low, then the others will be forced to follow the line.

Right, the home segment is very price conscious and the usage volume is low. If the reliance price is not right, very few ppl. would opt for it. Moreover, BSNL's inherent advantage is that the infrastructure is already in place. Although reliance has laid hundreds of miles of cable, the mode of the cable to home conectivity remains to be seen. That would incur additional installation costs. All these infrastructure costs have to be included in their price. I don't know how they will manage to keep their prices low for comparable speed vis-a-vis BSNL.

RIL has amazing bearing strength becoz of money power.I dunno if Anil Ambani will have that kind of drive if he steps into the drivers seat. I mean i see him the kinpin after a few months in case of infocom.

!!!! I'm back after a week !!!!by jove, reliance is gonna go bankrupt within 5 years !!now, lets hope for the best and wait till june 30 !!!what do u all say, guys ?and dial-up ? forget it...go for broadband at all costs.>