BSNL 8Mbps. Is it avail now?? Read This!!

• Thread starter Thread starter jerin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 6,924

jerin

ISP
BSNL
This is a news from BSNL's official site.. Though it might be published before & a old news, but still found to be interesting.. They say they offer broadband at a bandwidth of 256Kbps to 8Mbps..

But where is the 8Mbps..??? is it published that they are bringing in near future, or its applicable now.. The words pretty much looks like it is in existence.. but actually not!!:wall:

BSNL is in the process of commissioning of a world class, multi-gigabit, multi-protocol, convergent IP infrastructure through National Internet Backbone-II (NIB-II), that will provide convergent services through the same backbone and broadband access network. The Broadband service will be available on DSL technology (on the same copper cable that is used for connecting telephone), on a countrywide basis spanning 198 cities.

In terms of infrastructure for broadband services NIB-II would put India at par with more advanced nations. The services that would be supported includes always-on broadband access to the Internet for residential and business customers, Content based services, Video multicasting, Video-on-demand and Interactive gaming, Audio and Video conferencing, IP Telephony, Distance learning, Messaging: plain and feature rich, Multi-site MPLS VPNs with Quality of Service (QoS) guarantees. The subscribe will be able to access the above services through Subscriber Service Selection System (SSSS) portal.

Key Objectives
[*] To provide high speed Internet connectivity (upto 8 Mbps)
[*] To provide Virtual Private Network (VPN) service to the broadband customers
[*] To provide dial VPN service to MPLS VPN customers.
[*] To provide multicast video services, video-on-demand, etc. through the Broadband Remote Access Server (BRAS).
[*] To provide a means to bill for the aforesaid services by either time-based or volume-based billing. It shall provide the customer with the option to select the services through web server
[*] To provide both pre-paid and post paid broadband services
[/list] Technical Capability of the Backbone The Broadband Service will be given through the state of the art Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) based IP Infrastructure, which is designed to provide reliable routes to cover all possible destinations within and outside the country. Layer 1 of the network will consist of a high speed Backbone comprising of 24 powerful Core Routers connected with high speed 2.5 Gbps(STM-16) links. The routers are located on the national DWDM network interfacing at STM-16 optical level to provide for high transmission speeds. What advantage does MPLS have over other Technologies? MPLS VPN is a technology that allows a service provider like BSNL to have complete control over parameters that are critical to offering its customers service guarantees with regard to bandwidth throughputs, latencies and availability. Services available through Broadband
[*] High speed Internet Access: This is the always-on Internet access service with speed ranging from 256 kbps to 8 Mbps.
[*] Bandwidth on Demand: This will facilitate customer to change bandwidth as per his / her requirement. For example a customer with 256 kbps can change to 1 Mbps during the video Conferencing session.
[*] Multicasting: This is to provide video multicast services for application in distance education, telemedicine etc
[*] Dial VPN Service: This service allows remote users to access their private network securely over the NIB-II infrastructure.
[*] Video and Audio Conferencing:
[*] Content based Services: Like Video on Demand, Interactive Gaming, Live and time shifted TV
[/list]

Source; from here: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

BROADBAND connection Broadband service is based on DSL technology (on the same copper cable that is used for connecting telephone). This provides high speed internet connectivity upto 8Mbps. This is always - on internet access service with speed ranging from 256Kbps to 8 Mbps.

Source; from here: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

these are the "key objectives".....they were there from jan 2005(since start of dataone)

i think many things have come. 2mbps with upto tag, VPN, content based service (IPTV) are already here.

even if they come up with 8 mbps, let's hope that they're not as ridiculous as Airtel...

Their plans are sometime even more ridiculous then airtel and other isp's Whats the point in having Night UL starting from 2 am

they can come with that speed But what will the difference Airtel & Bsnl aIf they give 8MBPS unlimited

all these companies have a problem... they wont improve but would match rival's offerings.this happens with mobiles too... if airtel launches a new 'innovative' package... vodafone and idea would replicate it. no matter the innovation is not really designed to help the end user.

yes, this "match but dont beat" idea is close to the "cartelisation" that TRAI/DoT has claimed... i think its real... 🙁

I have a 700+home plan with a 512Kbps band width but I get 50kbps download speed.Is it fare or should I call my service provider

Probably wrong thread, but if you are getting 50 kBps then its fine. Note the difference between capital B (BYTES per second) versus lowercase b (bits per second) 🙂

I have a 700+home plan with a 512Kbps band width but I get 50kbps download speed.Is it fare or should I call my service provider

an easy way to calculate the download speed to connection speed is to divide the connection speed by 8
a 512kbps plan would get you 64kbps max possible, so if you are getting 50kbps you are already getting fair speed.

Ya. 512 Kbps = 64 KBps.1. Download any file from Microsoft and report the speed here.2. Use a good download manager like IDM, DAP or FDM.3. Try port forwarding for torrents.

Talk about digging up a thread after 3 years and 5 days 😀

LOL at 8mpbs, still no unrestricted 1mbps - let's just forget about anything else for another 5 years.