BSNL 3G - Getting only 450 Kbps

• Thread starter Thread starter sachin_
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,537

sachin_

ISP
BSNL
After waiting so long for Airtel to launch its 3G services, I went ahead and buy BSNL 3G pre-paid SIM from the BSNL exchange in here faridabad. Getting SIM was very much hassle free, to my surprise BSNL staff was very courteous and polite.3G SIM's cost was 59 Rupees and they charged me Rupees 58 for the FRC with one week of unlimited data. As I was told, service was active with an hour. But when I tested the speed on my Samsung Galaxy-3, I am getting maximum speed of 450 kbps only. Not sure is it because MTNL covers the NCR area? I am getting the "H" (HSDPA) symbol while testing the speed so I am sure it is not UMTS which supports maximum 3G speed of 384 Kbps, so definatley I am getting the HSDPA 3G signal (which supports ~3.6 Mbps) but the download speed are not that great.

Getting SIM was very much hassle free, to my surprise BSNL staff was very courteous and polite.

this is good to hear!

@Sachin
Every where BSNL 3G speeds have reduced because of 4200 Unlimited data download plan. Many people would be using the service and hence you are getting ~450kbps.
Check speeds at around 10PM or 7AM. You should get in range of atleast 1Mbps.
Also check signal strength. Even if you are getting 3 bars, you can expect good speeds.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Yeah we are happy to hear that getting a sim from BSNL office was hassle free experience.

It has been 2 days still my 3g sim is not activated here in bangalore.. :wall::madness:

howcome, is it a prepaid or a postpaid one, mine got activated within 30 minutes at the bsnl office itself. once activated i did a 120 frc and then a topup of rs 55 to get some balance.Advice for new prepaid users, better to get the sim activated and recharged at the bsnl office itself and then leave. Later on u can recharge on bsnl website also. I did the 4200 recharge on bsnl portal, also did a 55rs top up last week.

It has been 2 days still my 3g sim is not activated here in bangalore.. :wall::madness:

I hope you got sim from bsnl office. visit office and blast the bsnl officer. Your sim will be activated within 15min of blasting him/her 🙂

Are you getting 450kbps download speed, like when you download something using any software like DAP, Get-right, flashget or you get this as connection speed ?If you are getting 450kbps as download speed, that mean signal and BSNL network is perfect as max speed you would get on a 3.6mbps capable modem which is the max speed in galaxy3.