BSNL 3G: 2G SIM Not Receiving 3G Signal. Why?

• Thread starter Thread starter vmsanandh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 24,310

vmsanandh

ISP
BSNL Broadband
Dear buddies,BSNL says tht 2G customers can enjoy 3G services just by changing the mode from GSM to UMTS (or) Dual Mode in 3G enabled handsets. If we do so, the tower symbol in phone screen will be replaced by 3.5G symbol.I ve tested this with my BSNL 2G prepaid SIM and Nokia 5800 phone and im getting full 3G signals on this 2G SIM without any problem. I have two more BSNL 2G prepaid numbers which are GPRS enabled.With the same procedure with my Nokia 5800 or any datacard, im unable to receive 3G signals for those 2 numbers. If i choose UMTS, no network coverage is seen. Im confused. All three are 2G prepaid numbers only and all are GPRS enabled. One is receiving 3G signal and the other two numbers cant get any 3G signal.No use of contacting customer care.Can anyone tell the reason for this?

I think you need to activate 3g on both the sims before you can use them for 3g services.I am not sure but the process is by sending a sms with ACT 3G to 53733 Have you activated the sims ?

I think you need to activate 3g on both the sims before you can use them for 3g services.

I am not sure but the process is by sending a sms with ACT 3G to 53733

Have you activated the sims ?

Thanks for ur reply. If i send this sms, will my SIM be changed to 3G (or) i can enjoy 3G services with 2G SIM itself?

Expecting your reply.

Please ensure that you are in 3G coverage area. It is recomended not to sms ACT 3G to 53733 because it just change your plan to 3G and you have to pay as 3g data plans which is costly. 3G enabled HSDPA tower provides best connection speed. 2G is best for enjoying full eyecandy of 3G in very cheap 2G plan.

Please ensure that you are in 3G coverage area. It is recomended not to sms ACT 3G to 53733 because it just change your plan to 3G and you have to pay as 3g data plans which is costly.
3G enabled HSDPA tower provides best connection speed.
2G is best for enjoying full eyecandy of 3G in very cheap 2G plan.

I have full 3G network coverage. 1 SIM is working with my mobile and datacard. 2 SIM's are not working with same mobile and datacard.

dont change to 3G the plans are very costly with no substancial benefit. there may be some problem with the sim card itself try contacting customer care at 1503

With same Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, i checked seven 2G prepaid SIM cards in Tamil Nadu. But out of them only one is receiving 3G signals. Dont know the reason.

@vmsanandh ... the only card which is working in 3G, Did you buy it directly as a 3G card ? Or you converted it from 2G ?To all those guys who are saying not to go for 3g ... can someone put some light on how a person can enjoy 3G while staying in 2G ?

From where did you purchase the mobile phone? Was it brought to India from US? BSNL 3G works on HSDPA 2100 frequency. The US version is just compatible with HSDPA 850 and 1900 frequencies.

From where did you purchase the mobile phone? Was it brought to India from US? BSNL 3G works on HSDPA 2100 frequency. The US version is just compatible with HSDPA 850 and 1900 frequencies.

Sir, my problem is different. Im trying all 2G SIMs with a single 3G phone. And also tried with Huawei E156 Datacard. Whatever i try, the result is same. Only 1 SIM is getting 3G signal and others are not getting.

Can anyone from TN who is using 2G SIM card in 3G phone, tell whether you are able to get 3G signals or not?

This is simply (may not that simple) BSNL problem/ good proble. BSNL cant differentiate whether a connection is 3G subscriber or 2G. All the function works for 3G in 2G. Just need to activate/set network mode to UMTS.

Sir, my problem is different. Im trying all 2G SIMs with a single 3G phone. And also tried with Huawei E156 Datacard. Whatever i try, the result is same. Only 1 SIM is getting 3G signal and others are not getting.

Can anyone from TN who is using 2G SIM card in 3G phone, tell whether you are able to get 3G signals or not?

did you take that sime after the launch of 3g?

hai i have buy a 3G data card and 2G sim from BSNL office . then i convert 2G into 3G but i have not get speed of 3G. so pl suggest me.uday patna

Pls check from bsnl whether 2 g to 3 g updation was done and find whether 3g is available in your locality. Still u find a problem log a complaint with bsnl.