Browser specific issues

• Thread starter Thread starter imagegrill
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,593

imagegrill

ISP
Airtel
I have an odd problem.I rebuilt my machine at the beginning of October fitting a new power supply to accomodate my new graphics card. As the OS was riddled with tons of unwanted software I decided to do a complete new install of XP.As part of the install I elected to use Google's new Chrome browser. I also took an image of the hard drive at various stages in case of any issues (using Acronis 10).All was fine, browsing was working well with Chrome and IE.Then about 2 weeks ago the browsers would not load pages at all. I could download ok (P2P) and the internet worked on both my laptop and my wifes laptop. I loaded on an earlier imagee of the HDD and still the problem was there (when it was previously working fine - so no adware, virus, malware etc could have affected the system). Interesting we have the Chrome browser on my laptop and my wife's laptop and that works fine. :SI have installed Opera on my PC and now I can browse again 😛Anyone any idea why my PC would stop working with IE and Chrome?Both laptop's use dynamic IP address over wifi. The PC used static IP (for P2P) and cable to connect to the router.I'm on Airtel 512 unlimited (1499 package) in Gurgaon.Thanks!Paul

use firefox - thats the best... its difficult to single out the problem.... try to update ur windows - that may fix ur problem...

Try clearing the browser cache from time to time, and if that doesn't work, try reinstalling the browsers.If all else fails, stick to firefox or opera. Both are excellent browsers.

I have cleared the cachs, temporary files, history (all data possible!) and I have re-installed Chrome. I have also ran ant virus, ad ware tools etc but nothing showed up.What I don't get is why when I went back to a known working image it was not working.Just wondering if it was something Airtel were doing as I am making very good use of my unlimited data at teh moment 😗I'll stick to Opera, but it is a work around as the solution is not known. I may install Wire shark and take some traces if I am feeling up to the challenge in the future!

Anyone any idea why my PC would stop working with IE and Chrome?
1....Updating the OS at least upto SP2 should help.
2..... Make IE or Chrome your default browser.
3.......Now open My computers.
4........In the Address bar type India Broadband Forum or any other web site.
............See webwarper.net directs/opens IBF in IE or Chrome.
5............Which is the Firewall program you are using ?
6.............Can you open OE or Outlook and check your mail ?
7..............Please mention your modem/wifi router model.

as you mentioned that browsers dont load up..... just to clarify on that. as i can understand that clicking the icon doesn't bring up the chrome and IE browsers. is that correct? or do webpages/sites not load in both? as essbebe and some others suggested to update windows. Also one may try to reset IE install from windows added components and IE properties (if that comes up). after that try to use IE8 Beta and see if it works.Most certainly its not an ISP related problem or a even a modem issue.Seems something specific to IE and as chrome uses IE properties, the problem is coming up in both places. try steps above and below and respond back...🙂

I am runnin XP Pro with SP3 installed + all other updates.I have a Beetal 220BX Modem connected to a Linksys 54G router.I have AVG antivirus and Sunbelt Firewall (both free versions).I don't use any email client on my PC (I use gmail for personal mail).I have made Chorme my browser of choice, when I go inti my Computers as per steps 3 & 4 the website does not come up, however with Opera as my default browser the website (same one) will come up! This operation occured within 30 seconds of each attempt.What I don't get (and why I think it is external to my PC) is that when I rolled back to a previous working image (with Chrome and IE) that didn't work. Whatever I have installed/ been infected with should not have made a difference.Looks like Wireshark is the way to go to solve this, to find the blockage. I'll give that a go over the next week or so.Thanks,Paul