• Views: Views 8,346
Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
well. some guys are unable to access the forum using these dns servers as well. i am totally confused.

W

waterloo_sunset

ISP
Airtel FTTH
It could well be that they're still using www.broadbandforum.co (still works but quite erratic and slow) instead of https://broadbandforum.co which loads up in a flash.

Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
without www. did not work with him either

B

blr_p

Regulars
ISP
Airtel 256k ultd
QUOTE(Sushubh @ Dec 26 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]71740[/snapback]
well. some guys are unable to access the forum using these dns servers as well.

i am totally confused.
[/b]
I think they might still have the old IP in their DNS resolver cache, happens if you have the DNS client service running (default). So even if they use opendns, it will still be picking out the old address. To test

ipconfig /displaydns

to reset it use

ipconfig /flushdns

Since i changed to the opendns servers, i have not had any probs accessing this site apart from the times when it *was actually* down.

Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
well that's cool... i have never had a problem with that big a dns cache :D

B

blr_p

Regulars
ISP
Airtel 256k ultd
Cache Size has nothing to do with it.

a cache with just 1 line and your old address, will never refresh until the default TTL in the cache expires.

Looking at this kb article (XP & better only), it appears

• The default TTL for positive responses is 86,400 seconds (1 day).
• The TTL for negative responses is the number of seconds specified in the MaxNegativeCacheTtl registry setting.
• The default TTL for negative responses is 900 seconds (15 minutes).[/b]

So maybe it was not the cache afer all, given default TTL is set to *just* 15mins for a negative response.

More reading on the windows cache here.

C

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
ISP
TriB 749NU @ 2 mbps
even i was unable to access this site for almost a month or so...but it suddenly opened up and started working fine...sushubh did suggest me to change the DNS, but i was able to open the site before that only (without changing my DNS) though i've changed my DNS to Open DNS now...all working fine now at last :D

Sushubh

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
weird. so airtel is blocking access to this forum?

kalpik

kalpik

Regulars
ISP
Airtel Turbo 1299
I can confirm that Airtel is blocking this site. I had to use DNS servers from http://www.opendns.com (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220), then stop and disable the DNS client from services.msc to access this site..

Edit: Confirmed!

Using OpenDNS:
Code:
Pinging broadbandforum.co [64.38.53.74] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 64.38.53.74: bytes=32 time=354ms TTL=47Reply from 64.38.53.74: bytes=32 time=351ms TTL=47Reply from 64.38.53.74: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=47Reply from 64.38.53.74: bytes=32 time=354ms TTL=47Ping statistics for 64.38.53.74:    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:    Minimum = 351ms, Maximum = 357ms, Average = 354ms
Using Airtel DNS:
Code:
ping broadbandforum.coPing request could not find host broadbandforum.co. Please check the name and try again.