• Thread starter Thread starter catchgops
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 12,053

catchgops

Broadband @ Rs 500 from Jan 15

December 17, 2004 16:58 IST
Last Updated: December 17, 2004 17:31 IST

Public sector telecom giants BSNL and MTNL will launch their broadband services throughout the country on January 15, 2005 at Rs 500 per month.

While Mahanagar Telecom Nigam Ltd will launch the services in Delhi and Mumbai, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd will do it in Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad on the same day.

Announcing this while addressing the first meeting of the members of the consultative committee attached to his ministry in New Delhi on Friday, Minister of Communications & Information Technology Dayanidhi Maran said the department is targeting around 10 million broadband service users by the year 2007.

It will be another success like the mobile telephone services revolution in the country, he said. Maran was speaking on the recently announced New Broadband Policy, which was the main item on the agenda for the meeting.

Though the broadband connection at 256 Kbps costs Rs 3,000 in the market, the PSUs have agreed to provide the same services at Rs 500 a month.

While VSAT could be used as small hubs, the government is also allowing DTH operators to operate broadband Internet and uplink after fulfilling necessary licensing conditions. He further stated that the government has relaxed the conditions for outdoor use of frequencies to promote Wi-MAX and Wi-Fi.

Elaborating on the features of the New Broadband Policy, Maran said the policy has been finalised after taking into consideration all relevant aspects, including the recommendations of TRAI on accelerating growth of broadband and Internet.

Maran @$$ured the members that the department will also closely monitor and facilitate the spread of broadband and will take corrective measures as and when required.

Since the government is committed to promoting advanced technologies and is not favouring any particular technology the service providers are free to opt for the technology of their choice, he said.

The government has decided to encourage and make small operators of Cable TV to depend on the big players, such as BSNL, MTNL or any other private players, and they can also make use of broadband for their customers.

The government has also announced recently State Wide Area Network (SWAN) policy, National Internet Exchange (NIXI) and (In) domain policy, he said.

Speaking about the digital divide, the minister said that while tele-density in urban areas is 25 per cent it is only between 1.2 and 1.5 per cent in the rural areas.

The members appreciated the steps taken by the ministry in the area of broadband and stated that the new policy provided the flexibility and opportunities for further growth in telecom sector.

http://in.rediff.com/money/2004/dec/17broadband.htm

They plan to provide at 500 wat others provide at 3000Well Sify provides 1GB data transfer for Rs 2750 at 256 kbps....So we can xpect the same at 500 bucks......not bad

let us hope this lead to realistic data transfer limit from exisiting ISPs. they need a spanking on their butts.

nice.. but one problem. In karnataka, bsnl is calling for tenders( http://bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=174) for adsl modems. That tender will end on jan 5. How the heck can you expect them to offer adsl internet from jan 15 if they don't have the modems?

Earlier, I was told dec 1 was when they will launch services, then end of dec, then jan. Knowing bsnl and state owned enterprises, I wouldn't be surprised if reliance launches its netway before bsnl does. 😀

maybe the tender is for long term usage. they got some supply for the basic launch.but it s*cks for them to get modems through tenders... airtel bought beetle and use their modems for dsl services. tenders would definitely result in sub standard products.

it s*cks for them to go out and release tenders. it would lead to sub standards modems being offered to the customers. airtel bought beetle and use their dsl modems... they should have collaborated with some reputed manufacturer instead directly.

This sounds FAR too good to be true, doesn't it ? Of course, if it IS true it would be awesome; but I have serious doubts. I have zer0 idea about BW availability in India; but, considering the lower cost, the demand is surely going to be overwhelming - and then I have no idea how they wll perform under severe load.Besided that perhaps they will charge some extra rent for the modems ... you never know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

i doubt abt extra charges for modem 😛 though a refundable security is expected. but what are the f**king download limits? 😱

Today there was an AD in Hindu for Dataone BSNL...it read...True UNLIMITED broadband in LOWEST price.... !!!Any ideas?? Their cust care is of no use...

maybe the unlimited means, stay connected... block all traffic. and you can be online for unlimited time. 🙂

hmm.. they highlighted the"TRUE UNLIMITED" in RED bold font...for a moment i thought they really meant it...🙂 only god knows...

BJP said india shining in bigger words... well. everyone knows what they got out of that 😉it is just f**king alternative for dialup users who check their mails once a day. broadband to check mail... only in india!