Broadband Revolution In India

ArcanaOccult

Viking Warrior
ISP
MTNL
I am in Thane City, and I have been using a cablenet connection for the past 15 months. To put it mildly, the connection absolutely rocks. I have a 140k connection(17.5KBps) rated-that means it is supposed to give atleast that-but I have been frequently getting speeds well above 40-50KBps! 😀 This goes up further late in the night.The provider is my local cablewallah. The deal is they are franchisees of 5 different ISPs-Sify, Tata Indicom, ExattNet, Pacenet(and one more whose name I can't remember😀 ). Most people using his net are on the two lesser known ISPs, and they're the fastest. They have their offices somewhere in Andheri. You can google them for their schemes. Disconnections, and other glitches are very rare. Even if something does happen, the guy comes to your house to check it out. And the most fun thing is that you dont require a modem or some such sh*t, only a 10/100 LAN Card. I took the connection when they were offering free installation. The connections are not shared, so you get a dedicated connection. All this at a fraction of a cost-my 140k unlimited connection costs me abt 2500 bux per month, whihc is much better that any other ISP's offer. No hidden costs here. No monthly rentals, or modem rentals. 🙂 I request all you readers(esp. those in Mumbai) to enquire about their service in Mumbai, coz you wont be disappointed. When I see posts saying "I got a broadband connection and I get speeds of 5-6 KBps", I shake my head in pity :blink: . All the big fish out there are taking the customers for a ride-Modem costs, installattion costs...geez! Those ppl r just interested in extracting maximum money from their customers, and not at all concerned abt bringing real broadband into India. Isn't it ironic how our country leads in software, and barely anyone has a real broaband connection? If anyone is going to usher a broadband revolution in India, it's these guys...B)

Welcome to the forum Mr Gulwady.

Hi Sush... it is great to know that u get a Connection speed of more than 50 kbs/ sec!!! my braodband provider[how they can utter the name "braodband as they proudly proclaims in their advtrs..??] , has just 4 to 6 K/sec..that it really pathetic!!!!!!!!!! 🙁 i am from kerala & here the BIG player is ASIANET....who has 4000 Rs for Installa charges !!!!!! speed is veryl less too.!!!!!!! U are lucky indeed!!!!!! 🙂

If I was offered 17.5 KBps during day and 50KBps during night, I would gladly pay 2500 per month. But a problem with small cable internet companies is that once they get big, more users use means less bandwidth for you.If the ISP promised 384k and charged 2500, I wouldn't have a problem paying.When I was with zee internet, with 64k I used to get 5k, with 128k, 8-10k. If I got less than that, I could tell the isp that there was a problem.When you pay for 128k and get 384k, you can't complain when it goes back to 128k.I pay 900 for 128k airtel and get 13-14k now. And installation was free.By the way, is this Cablenet part of Incable or is it a separate company? What is the website?And finally, 140k is not a broadband revolution as the title of your thread states. 128k isn't even broadband. Broadband is cl@$$ified as >=256k. Real broadband elsewhere in the world starts at 512k and is usually 1.5mbit, 3mbit, 6mbit-40mbit. And its all unmetered. None of this 500MB monthly d/l limit etc.

Hey man.........I've been with this ISP and so far there have been absolutely no probs.This is not a part of InCable.The're separate.And man, I know what real broadband is-I've had a chance to surf Wi-Fi in London-our cpountry is nowhere close....What I'm trying to say is that it's a small start and we can still hope to be optimistic. The big compoanies are squeezing out the public's money by metered schemes....Heck, I d/l about 60-70 MB EVERYDAY on my connection.....If I had a 1.5 Mbps connection, my monthly d/l limit would be over in one hour!

As of sharing movies and files thats applicable to sify tooo .Dunno abt reliance though heard that they too use NIC .2500 is heavy .sify has 2500 limited acc 2GB and they give speed upto 400 KB/s . i have tried it.

the spelling of friend in your signature seems to be wrong to me. 🙂 intentional?

hey i cant belive it 😱 MTNL actually gave all there user's a quetioniare refardin how mcuh wuld they pay adn howmuch they use what scheme wuld they like etc.im glad that they r actually considering gettin a response from users and then presenting there service's.Atleast they r makin an effort and certainly think that users opinion do matter. 🙂

I am really happy with sify 🙂 . Though um sure many guys arent .I have my own reasons to like it 😉