Broadband or Super Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Supreme
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,191

Supreme

ISP
Airtel
Net users in London are to be offered broadband at speeds up to 24 meg as part of ambitious plans by a new UK ISP.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/01/broadband_be/

In April 2001, Ivanovic bought fledgling Swedish ISP Bostream and launched 26 meg broadband. In three years the number of Bostream punters shot up from 2,000 to 100,000 with revenues rocketing from $1m to $55m.

Do we ever hope to get such speeds in here
if yes
Then in which century

Just as long as your girlfriend doesnt ask for BB that fast, dont feel bad.... 😉

Hey, I was going to post the same news! British Telecom is/was just like BSNL but after the british govt allowed private isp's to use BT's lines, broadband connections have taken off. From 128k to 256k in 2000 to 2mbit, 8mbit and now 26mbit.And here in India, the bsnl f@#%$^s are moving in the reverse direction. Jesus, no wonder we have been a developing country and will remain one for the rest of your lifetime.

Govt. Monopoly....boohooo

Even the private isp's here are no goodSIfy---the worstAirtel--okothers--halfway between above twoAfter opening BT's lines broadband took offBut if our mtnl/bsnl lines are opened up wht do u thing will happenWith the kind of lines that have been laid down...Noisy all the time, wht will be the connection of the broadband..And with the load increasing we even wont get the voice services we get now.

WAIT AND HOPE FOR BEST . DONT FROGET WE ARE DEVELOPING COUNTRY SO INTERNET IS NOT A PRIORITY THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER PROBLEM TO BE LOOKED AFTER. AT LEAST WE ARE BETTER THAN PAKISTAN ,................................ 😛 😛

Pakistan ... hardly the benchmark to compare with. We have to get over this mindset and work to claim our ancient leadership. This is our century ... make no mistake. In 'purchase price parity' our economy is fourth. Germany comes after us. Check out what the Economics Times has to say a few days ago. Our bandwidths will improve if we can lift the bottom 15% from D- status to D+ status. Poverty anywhere is a threat to prosperity everywhere. This is what the Bush cowboys are finding out from all over the world. We need not copy that and experience it. Find ways to get PURA .... Providing Urban aminities in Rural Areas. Think of means to make products and services affordable for the bottom of the pyramid. They consitute the largest market in the world. HLL and ITC are working at it. Make your contributions. Best wishes.

I had a talk with one of my friends who is at a high post in Satyam. He said that sify and most other providers like Hathway, tata all want to give 1 Mbps connections, but rules of TRAI are keeping them from doing that. I think, till our s...ing govt doesn't change rules, v are going to be bogged down with SNAILBAND

Even if sify can provide these 128 and 256 kbps connections with nice service, that would be really nice.Just providing high speed connections is of no use. The service should be appropriate. When in a 24 hrs period the connection remains down for 12hrs and more, what will a high speed connection bring.Also ask ur friend to forward to sify to remove these data limits.

Originally posted by gandalf12@Jul 10 2005, 04:05 PM
I had a talk with one of my friends who is at a high post in Satyam. He said that sify and most other providers like Hathway, tata all want to give 1 Mbps connections, but rules of TRAI are keeping them from doing that. I think, till our s...ing govt doesn't change rules, v are going to be bogged down with SNAILBAND
[snapback]15616[/snapback]
[/quote]
What rule would prevent them from offering better services? There better be a darn good reason for that.

Originally posted by anand@Jul 10 2005, 11:40 AM
What rule would prevent them from offering better services? There better be a darn good reason for that.
[snapback]15623[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with you.... If companies can bypass TRAI guidelines by offering 64kbps speeds as BB (by indirect advertising...for eg. TATA advertises 'Hi Speed Broadband' while their starting speed is 64 kbps... :x ), whats stopping them from bypassing TRAI and providing 2MBps lines???? Thats complete cow-dung....

yup. trai has not put a limit on speeds 😉 to be offered by the ISPs to their broadband customers.

Well i asked my ISP and he is willing to provide a 1meg connection in the form of two merged 512kbps connection for Rs 2000. Not bad but wouldnt mind getting that for Rs.1500