Broadband For 2 Months

• Thread starter Thread starter godwin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,898

godwin

ISP
Optus DSLDirect
Hi,I will be visiting my parents in Mumbai (Kalina - Santacruz East) during March to May and would like to get a broadband connection.Any suggestions in regards to good ISP's that service this area, how long does it take to get a connection. Wi-FI would be ideal.ThanksGodwin

try MTNL triband 256kbps unlimited for rs949

QUOTE(hotindia @ Nov 10 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]68382[/snapback]
try MTNL triband 256kbps unlimited for rs949
[/b]
hmm....rubbing salt on our wounds or was it an honest mistake? I dunno..........!!!!!!!!!!11111 :angry: But STOP giving wrong info to people ok! :angry:

Godwin, this plan is NOT, i repeat NOT, available to Mumbai subscribers. Its availble only to Delhi subscribers. Go in for DSL199 or similar plan according to your parents' requirements.

And do buy your own DSL Modem (and WiFi router).MTNL has run out of stock for modems and if you have your own modem then you can get connection in a week's time.

Linuxguy and netfreak, thank you for your input.My parents will not be using the connection. I will be as I have check back with my office down under from time to time. No worries with the modem, I will bring along my trusted Billion BiPAC 7402VL (modem/router/voip - no wireless)I had a look at the Triband website but could not find the DSL199 planWhich 256 and 512 (preferred) plans do you suggestThanks again

Trib 590 nu 256kbps night free(12-8) Trib 599 1Gb 512 kbpsare two of nicest paln available in mtnl mumbai.

I don't know about other ISPs but I think Airtel has no installation or registration costs, so as a temporary thing, that might be ideal. They are pretty fast to set it up too, and you can rent the modem from them too for Rs. 99 / month. Not sure whether they rent / sell WiFi modems.

vebmetal Airtel is freakin' available only at select areas and that too in select buildings too! 🙁

I stay at Kalina-Mumbai so can say Airtel is not available here.Go for 590NU (256kbps, 1GB limit and night 12am-8am free) or DSL599 (512kbps with 1 GB limit).MTNL-Triband is the best option and plz get a modem along if u want a connection pretty quick... 🙂

QUOTE(max @ Nov 15 2006, 12:42 AM) [snapback]68720[/snapback]
vebmetal Airtel is freakin' available only at select areas and that too in select buildings too! 🙁
[/b]
I wonder if its existing ISPs servicing those areas that keep Airtel out. You know protect their 'turf'.

I mean i imagine you live in a heavily residential area, so the possibilty of not making a buck is non-existant right ?

I vaguely recall you saying your bldg.commitee got together and voted to keep Airtel out !!!

G'day,Thanks everyone, will go with DSL599 (512kbps with 1 GB limit) and as mentioned earlier will bring my Billion 7402VL (is it possible to use this modem in Mumbai).Would it be better if I asked my dad to order the connection before I land in Mumbai? does MTNL need the modem for anything (In case they provide the connection before I reach Mumbai)

Yes it would be a good idea. That ways lineman can kep the line ready and assume tat it will take couple of days for you to translate their instructions that are very specific to admin GUI of D-Liink's modem to your modem. They ask you to change some things like VC number etc etc for their ADSL to work.

Thanks netfreak, silly QHow do I go about disconnecting the service before I leave?Had a quick read of the D-Link help file should not be a problem with the VPI/VCI settings the Billion has got a Auto Scan which picks up most settings

No need to disconnect just change it to triAA plan without any commitment.