What to do if someone ‘accidentally’ sends you money through UPI?

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So, this happened with dad’s account back in August and the guy as expected kept calling him to send him back the money. Worse, he gave dad’s number to the guy he was supposedly sending money and he also started calling dad. Dad told him that he can only reverse payment when he talks with me, and I was not available. Next morning, he told me, and I was baffled. But I did send back the money. I did try to get him to send me a message on WhatsApp about the reversal of transaction but he was getting too confused so I just let it go. Not that some messages on whatsapp would have mattered. At least I have the transactions on record, which should help in case this becomes a problem later.

The problem with this is that there is a scam going on. These guys would get back the money and would also file a complaint with their own bank who would contact the victim’s bank and there would be some form of reversal put on the account and the transaction is reversed.

I read about this later but only on sites like reddit and twitter so I am still not sure what exactly is going on with this. Banks would send tons of messages about this or that but they do not seem to be doing much about these ongoing scams.

After reading about it on reddit, I went to dad’s bank branch this week. As per bank employee who checked dad's account... it is in normal status. They could not see any recovery request pending on it. Also sort of indicated that any such request would not be valid after a few weeks in any case, so I had nothing to worry about. Not sure if I can trust their word for it but what can one do lol.

The point of this post is that if someone unknown sends you money by mistake… Just avoid sending back the money. Do not touch it. Inform your bank. Maybe in writing and getting a confirmation in return that it’s not your money and you want it to be sent back to the sending party. If the sender starts calling you, tell him to deal with it through his own bank instead of mailing you. Make it clear that you are doing the same at your end and the money is going to remain there for the banks to deal with. That’s probably the safest thing to do in these cases.

Last edited:
I didn't had such experience, but little different. Someone by mistake recharged with 1 GB data pack on my Airtel number. I was surprised to see recharge successful message and 1 GB data was also added. Then some person called and informed that by mistake last 2 digits messed up and my number was recharged with 1 GB data. He sent me number as well which he was trying to recharge.
I told him, I would recharge same number with same pack of 1 GB data, and did the recharge 🙂

are I have recently lost 2k in this Paytm one a customer made a payment but transaction showed failed at his end but money got credited to my ac after 8 hrs , but but my over smart accountant gave him 2k in cash citing failed payment, this customer then raised a dispute also on the transaction , we submitted proof for dispute but we lost.
so I lost 2k finally

Money (above Rs. 2000) sent via UPI can be reversed within 4hrs by the sender. Saw this message come from Whatsapp university. The message claimed that this UPI rule is in effect from 1st Jan 2024. I couldn't verify the authenticity except now many local news channels also started reporting the same. In that case, say good bye to UPI payments as you cannot pay more than 2000 at any retail outlet or restaurants. They will fear you reversing the account after leaving the outlet. However, this rule can protect us from wrongful UPI transfers as OP faced.

I am not sure what the new rule and criteria about reversal is, but govt also implemented new rule from 01-Jan by which we can pay up to 5 Lac at Hospitals and School/Colleges by UPI. What if people start reversing these payments as well 😜

I always dreamt of these scenarios like someone sending me 10 Lakhs or maybe recharging for whole year but never happened to me. I will happily do the recharge thing back as well as UPI refund. But the problem is this hasn't happened to me. Am I lucky? I don't know 😂.

• LOL
Reactions: SVK
Few days ago read a post on reddit. This issue happened with someone and he didn't reversed it fearing scam, the sender registered an FIR claiming scam. This FIR could come up in background checks and create a lot of problems for jobs, visa etc.

I mean WTF is this BS Police doesn't even want to register FIR when you actually get scammed, even if your persist they just take a unofficial complaint in their diary but sometimes they just do register FIR without any verification.

And how bank can reverse payment without consent of the customer. Its a big problem when it happens with elder people.

I wouldn’t say rotten but broken. How much ever they tweak the system, the scammers will always find a way.

I was talking about the Govt in general. It's rotten to the core. Police will harass the shit out of you, when you approach them with valid concern (like registering FIR)