Bridge Mode Disconnections on MTNL Broadband

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
ISP
Reliance Thunder 1099 4 Mbps UL
I'm facing the same problem in bridge mode again. This problem started when I was upgraded to 2 Mbps, but now it has been a long time, and I still haven't found a solution to this problem. I can't connect in a single go, it has to be at least 3-4 attempts (it is automatic, in Windows though, it redials if the line is dropped). Moreover, the connection doesn't last more than 1 hour. The redial attempts are 2000, after 1 sec. But I don't think Windows ever does try to redial.

It's as if disconnection due to signal loss or disturbance doesn't apply for being redialled. Windows selectively redials, it redials if it doesn't connect in the first attempt, but if the connection snaps after being connected for 1/2 - 1 hour, Windows doesn't try to redial it. I'm so frustrated. Any solutions, guys? Router Settings?

SNR Margin
28.9 Downstream
25 Upstream

Line Attenuation
26.5 Downstream
15 Upstream

I've never truly enjoyed bridge mode. I've always had one problem or another. Do you think changing the router would help? Can I ask for a new router from MTNL? Which one is the best?

Another problem that plagues me is the problem related to PPP Down status. Recently my phone number got changed, as MTNL has offered free intercom service in our society. I now don't get a dial tone, I have to dial a 0 first, if I have to dial outside the society. Since this change, I face the problem of PPP down as WAN status in the router. I have to wait for about 1/2 an hour for it correct. Rebooting doesn't help. I can solve the problem temporarily by changing the DSL settings.

I uncheck the ADSL2+ box, click Save/Apply, the Link lights go out, it connects again and the problem gets temporarily solved. But the next time I connect I have the same problem again. I then tick the ADSL2+ box again, and I can connect again. It's not that I always get this problem, but I do get it 40% of the times.

yaar thats very strange... your router status of SNR margin etc r perfect. try to tick ADSL and G.DMT only n then see...Also in what time ur ADSL link light becomes stable????

It is working with only ADSL2 and G.DMT enabled, I'll have to wait test if it is stable or not. Anybody else with the UT300R2U facing a similar problem?

Anybody who could help. Nobody is replying 🙁 . Please guys, even if you have the slightest hint, do reply.

yaar, if ur modem is workin perfectly on some other lines, then the problem lies with ur line only....

2. ERROR 619: The port is disconnected.

Error 619 means that the User is disconnected by the BRAS server .
The Main reason can be “ unavailability of IP address in local pool on BRAS”.

Login into BRAS and increase the number of ip addresses by adding another ip pool .

Note: Refer BRAS doc to add the Local ip pool .

This is the error i get in b/w two redials (bridge mode connection).

Maybe they are running out of ports..this is one problem that happens when ISP's implement port binding..

No that isn't the case. I don't think anybody else has the same problem. I think this is something realted to internal telephone wiring in my house, which has never been successful (according to the MTNL karamchari, who setup my landline connection)

Here's the latest problem. Now PPPoE mode has stoped working at all, it says authentication failure (with the correct username and password, I've checked it by using it at register.bol.net.in). In Bridge Mode, connection gets disconnected, half times because of error 619 (mentioned in earlier post, and half times because of error 691 -

.ERROR 691 : Access denied because username and/or password is invalid on the domain.

This error occurs because either the Username or password dialed by the user is not correct .

Check the password dialed or contact the local operator to check the username or reset the password .

The connecting time now is anything b/w 10 mins to 1 hour, which means 10*60 = 600 attempts to 60*60 = 3600 attempts (I have set the time b/w redials to 1 sec.) The surprising thing is that username and password is correct, as it gets connected after a few hundred attempts.

1504 is inaccessible, queue has been full since morning, nobody picking up at exchange (maybe it's a holiday), Shubhendu to uthata hi nahi hai 🙁 .

u need to contact cc either on 1504 or email them at 1504@bol.net.in and copy to gmbb@bol.net.in - ur problem solved by followin day as gm is now very active....

@apporv, this problem started since saturday night (or may be that's when i noticed it)...i was unable to login for the whole night...then on sunday morning, i had a chance to speak to the 1504 CC guy...first he tried to tell me different ways to connect and all that crap...i told him that i know all those things, u just check if there's any problem in the server...then he put me on hold for a while and he admitted that there certainly is some problem with the numbers starting with 25 (mine also starts with 25) and he said engineers r working on that and it will be resolved by evening, and to my surprise the moment i kept the phone, i was able to log back in, though in the PPPoE mode...i thought everything is fine now and i changed it back to bridge mode...but again the same thing happened...kept getting ERROR 691...so i again changed it back to the PPPoE mode and after around 5-10 mins it started working again...i left it like that the whole evening...then again on the sunday night i thought i'll change it back to the bridge mode...when i did that i was again unable to log in and then when i again changed it back to PPPoE it didn't work this time for the whole night...so i left it at that around 3 am and went off to sleep...today morning around 10 i changed it back to bridge and gave it a shot and after a few attempts it got connected!!! 😀 so i left it at that and didn't tinker anything and net's up and fine till now... :thumbsup:so the conlcusion is that there indeed was some problem with their servers from saturday night to monday morning and hopefully it has resolved now...other users can give more feedback 🙂