Brethren using Airtel broadband, I need you help.

warpspeed

To Infinity and Beyond!
ISP
Hathway FTTH
ACT Fibernet + Airtel Backup
I'm using Airtel broadband for almost four years. They are the only ISP available in my place and I have faced little to no issues with my connection so far. As you already know their uptime is quite legendary when compared to other ISP's. Ever since Steam implemented INR and Netflix's official launch my data consumption started to increase steadily where I cross my FUP limits in few days, not to mention the constant redirection to Smartbytes page, forcing me buy extra data. I'm on 16Mbits line, 512Kbits is painful to use. I have come to know that Airtel has increased the post FUP speeds for up to 5Mbits in Hyderabad circle due to heavy competition. You can find the special plans for Hyderabad circle here.

CAMZvG3.png

Now these are the plans currently available for Rest of India.

aNIVC6S.png

For quick comparison from the plans, they are charging:
  • ₹615+taxes for 8Mbits with 60GB, 1Mbits post FUP for Hyderabad users
  • ₹1699+taxes for 2Mbits with 50GB, 512Kbits post FUP for Rest of India users.
It sure does looks unfair what they're charging their loyal ROI customers when compared. Ranted out to Airtel appellate about this, got a call from them the next day. The executive who spoke to me was friendly, understood my concern and apologized. Informed me Airtel does cares about their customers and they are actively collecting feedback about their services. Also informed me there might be a chance for post FUP speeds to be increased in other circles if there is a huge demand/backslash from customers. In this page you can find the contact details of Appellate authority for appropriate circles. This is the official Twitter page for Airtel. It would be great if you guys can tweet and send emails to Appellate demanding to provide a better post FUP speeds nationwide. The more email, tweets they recieve, greater the chance for this to happen.

You answered the problem yourself. In Hyderabad, post FUP speeds are awesome not because of consumer backslash or demand but because of the competition. As long as there is no such competition in Rest of India they really have no real reason behind increasing post FUP speeds. Only 2 things can force their hand

1. Directive from Government/TRAI
2. Launch of a big player in their circle offering some earth shattering plans. lol.

Airtel or for that matter any Indian ISP doesn't give a rat's ass about their consumers. If they did, well then it would have been a different story. 😛