• Thread starter Thread starter redsun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 5,615

redsun

ISP
tataindicom
Hi,

Am in Bombay & I Urgently need Suggestions, feedback or info for a Provider that has any Unlimited packages. - 256kbps or 512 kbps

I am presently using a TATAIndicom 256 kbps connection & suffering because of Port blockage issues. - This has really affected & crippled my Internet usage very badly, affecting a wide range of Applications. :madness:

- This is the first time i've faced this issue & in the past years, previous providers have resolved it in around 15 minutes. - Months have passed now & Tata hasn't done a thing about it & - In fact theyv'e lied at times saying all their ports are open & at other times made it seem like its a problem on my end, etc. 😡
For the amount they charge (am paying Rs. 1123 per month presently) you'd think there shouldn't be any problems with this & shouldn't have to frickin put up with their crap & cheap crummy setup.. [Note: opening, 'Any' incoming ports will do for me, my request was not for any specific ports] - but they refuse to do anything about this or to open 'any' incoming ports at all. - it has been so very frustrating.
Users whose internet usage spans areas that could be affected by this Beware!!!

MTNL triband has no unlimited packages 🙁

Please guys, help me with this,.. I need an ISP in Mumbai that has unlimited 256 kbps or 512 kbps. since any of the non-unlimited schemes wouldn't be suitable for my usage.

would appreciate any feeeedback & suggestons...

Really like the New Board. - especialy the new 'Post Page' Neat!!!

Thank - you.

Redsun

-

You gan try GPRS/EDGE. If your phone has EDGE and can be used as "modem" then you can access net thru it.Speed ~200kbps [claimed speed 130kbps], cost MTNL 400, Aritel/Hutch ~900

can some one can give me more information about SIGMA internet i had visited the site but there is not much information or any contact number or e-mail

Hi

try SIGMA internet on cable broadband service | fastest access to the net
Insb, First off let me say it seems great! - I checked out the link & the 256 kbps unlimited package is half the price of what am paying now with Tataindicom,..hell..actually even the 512 kbps unlimited(Rs 1050) is less than what I am paying to TataIndicom(Rs 1123), for 256kbps. 🙂
might even go for the 1mbps unlimited at sometime (Rs 1500)

- There seems to be no contact info at the site - so if you or anyone has
any contact information like a telephone number..would appreciate if you
could post it

- Have you had any personal usage experience with this ISP ? - If anyone else has any personal experience with SIGMA I'd really appreciate them posting & giving some feedback.(like,.. you know the usual things, whether speeds are constant,.. etc)

all the prices & services seem very attractive, thanks so much.

Netfreak, I don't know anything about EDGE, I guess I'll have to look into it, or if you could expand on it a bit.
I have an MTNL land line.

I Appreciate all the feedback, can't think of going on another month with TataIndicom.

& I'll say it again,.. really like the new posting editor

Redsun

Which mobile phone do you have? Mobile phones with EDGE can access net at 230 kbps. You can connect your mobile phone to PC.

Dunno is mobile cell phone a wise choice given the requirements. For the odd attachments & web access i suppose, but i think we are talking heavy downloads here. Not to mention port requirements as well.Airtel is what i would suggest if its available in you area.

Netfreak, I have a motorolla mobile phone

bir_p,
your'e right, heavy downloads & port access..
About airtel, do I need their phone connection to have an internet connection ? - or would they be able to do it accross an MTNL line (my landline is MTNL)
are the airtel speeds somewhat constant ?

am kinda desperate to switch from TATA, dunno what exactly their setup is , but what kind of ISP has a cheap, crapy configuration that allows for no functionality whatsoever that involves incoming connections, & for the amount am paying them.

I've had providers in the past with dynamic public IP's, but their configuration alowed for at least some of that functionality in applications.
For example, if I wanted to send a file on IRC i could do it- (This is a task I've always been able to do with past providers.) With TataIndicom I can't even do a simple task like that. - not to mention in the beginning they'd lie blatantly about it saying 'we've just opened your ports' or 'we don't block any ports', even contradicting themselves at times.. that was funny.
& they'd always ask "but you can browse..right ?" lol - like am paying for a browsing service..rather than Internet bandwidth.

Really appreciate the support guys,..

thanks!

Redsun

I am on GPRS/EDGE for last three months (since MTNL is not yet available in my locality). Speeds are comparable to MTNL DSL. In MTNL I used to get 240 kbps, with GPRS I am getting ~200 kbps. Redsun,Which motorla phone do you have? I mean model no of phone.

Airtel requires a landline to be installed but if you don't use it, you dont get billed, i've been using mine for internet only and holding onto the BSNL line.They even give you a free phone which got put onto the BSNL line 😀The speeds good in BLR, they tell u 256, but in reality give you 200kbs, consistant, no downtime and port blocking has not been an issue to date.

Those Sigma prices look very tempting but I must say that the website doesn't inspire much confidence. Currently I am on Tata Indicom 256 unlimited and while it is a bit expensive I will probably continue for the time being. If I see a tempting 512 UL plan for the right price I might switch. Maybe Tata themselves will drop prices around Diwali.BTW Netfreak (or anyone else), which company offers those EDGE plans in Bombay? Are they unlimited and how much do they cost per month? I don't have an EDGE capable handset currently but if these plans are reasonably priced they might be the way to go.

heh... by judging a company by their website... you could end up making a big mistake 😛just look at indian railways websites 😀

Pretty much every comapny has EDGE network in Bombay.

Private oerators (Hutch/Airtel/BPL)charge ~900 per month for unlimited package. MTNL charges 400 per month Tariff

Thanks for the info. 900 sounds a decent price. Might have to consider pushing ahead my next handset purhcase.

Netfreak wrote...
I mean model no of phone.

C168

-------

The stuff on the Sigma website sure looks promising !!
unlimited packages upto 2mbps for home users.

They say they will launch their Services on the 1st of june, however no contact info seems available on their site so far. : /

Redsun