Bomb Blast in Mumbai

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 184
  • Views Views 113,409
@blr_p - thanks for the calculations!

Let us pass this to Rahul Gandhi, he will put that in press statement too.

"We can stop 99% of attacks but not 1%. And government protects you 27,49,999 times, it is just your bad luck if you are victim of the blast!"
No, the govt cannot say that. I gave that answer because you wanted to know what YOUR chances were of surviving a blast. There is another point to make here

For every blast there will always be deaths & injuries.

If you look at the figures of this one, it is ~20 killed, 150 injured. So every time there will be casualties. There will also be destruction to property. Whereas YOU may escape others will not because the population of mumbai is at least 15 million. That means chances of dying were slightly under a million and of sustaining an injury were 1 in 100,000 for this blast alone.

I don't see those figures changing because since 2006, we've not seen deaths in the high tens. Its mostly been low tens. Why ? its harder to plot such a large operation, there were 7 blasts i think in that one day and used trains so many ppl crowded in one area. How many blasts have there been in train stations since, none. Everybody is more alert about unaccompanied baggage now. I never hear about RDX being used anymore so its gotten harder to get it since. So the intensity has come down. That is one positive i can see here.

Btw my maths abt 99% says. Average 5 blasts a year in country. So government shud have stopped 495 blasts a year.

You can stop a blast only if you have caught the terrorist who planned it. Now assuming atleast 5 terrorists per blast. Government shud have caught 2475 terrorists per year. Let us say, 75% manage to escape. So 619 terrorists should have been caught last year.

So where are they? Will Rahul Gandhi clarify?
This is the other point. I've not recalled any reports showing how the govt foiled any attacks. They might have apprehended ppl, and they have over the years. But no way i can say to directly show that look we caught this guy just before he wanted to blow this or that up.

But he is making the general point where even in the ideal case that they apprehended 99 out of 100 attempts, just one has to succeed to make us unhappy. That is a fact. Its a very dificult situation. Maybe he should not say this because it can be misinterpreted.

And if he says that only 150-200 were caught (which is also too high i suppose), then that means their TERRORIST CATCH PERCENTAGE is way too low. So how can he say that government is stopping 99% of terrorists?

And I also dont think that terrorists can plan 500 blasts a year. Full 99% statement is FLAWED and clearly statement of person who has no idea what he is saying.
He is trying to put a postive spin where its difficult to do so. The point here is it does not matter who said it, if it was another party they would have said the same. That means regardless of the party in charge there will be explosions. That is what needs to be tackled.

Forget who makes the statements, instead ask why are these operations successful.

Besides, after 26/11 you voted back the same NCP party isn't it. So you had a chance to change but your ppl felt it was not necessary. What am i to conclude from this ?

A more general point i would like to make is this blaming of Pakistan has got to stop. They might plan whatever over there, its our job to protect the country from all enemies domestic or foreign. just becasue something is planned over there does not mean it has to succeed here where it most likely is our own ppl doing the legwork.

The arab spring needs to spread to pakistan. Removal of the power hungry incumbents will only be beneficial for us. The puppetmasters, both here and there, need to be taken care of for peace in this region.

Agreed. Then what can be the solutions ??

There cannot be an instant solution to this.
Whenever there is an Indo-Pak talk, such an attack takes place somewhere.
At this point of time, though Pakistan has a government, the military is calling all the shots in the country.
There is no doubt that if there is an LeT hand behind the attack (provided it is proven), the role of the Pak Military & ISI cannot be ruled out.
Terror groups, in Pak, do not get trained just by following books or articles available on the internet, there is a massive support of a higher authority on all levels.

The solution can only be made through the intervention of the international community.

The arab spring needs to spread to pakistan. Removal of the power hungry incumbents will only be beneficial for us.

The puppetmasters, both here and there, need to be taken care of for peace in this region.
Imarn is already involved in something like that. They have been deeply embarassed by the OBL affair and how the military could not protect them from the Americans.

So Imaran wants to start from scratch beginning with stopping the drone attacks.

Seriously, we need to leave Pakistan alone. They have enough problems there without us adding to it.

Stop using this 'foreign hand' excuse and deal with the problem locally.

Ajmal Kasab costing state Rs20 crore - Mumbai - DNA

The director general of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has slapped a bill of Rs8.61 crore on the state government for providing security to Ajmal Kasab outside the Arthur Road jail. The outstanding bill now amounts to nearly Rs20 crore. About 175 ITBP personnel have been deployed outside the jail ever since the run up to the 26/11 trial held in a special court inside the jail. In 2011, the ITBP directorate had sent the state government a bill of Rs10.87 for their services from March 2009 to September 2010.

The second bill for Rs8.61 crore is for the period of October 2010 to September 2011.

The state home department refused to pay the first bill, claiming that the terrorist attack was not aimed only at Maharashtra but on the country. “We were about to take up the issue with home minister RR Patil when the fresh bill arrived. We have two options: Either we pay, or the central agency waives off the bill,” said Medha Gadgil, principal secretary, home department.
The central agency has refused to buy into the state’s claim.

“Instead of replying, the ITBP directorate sent a fresh bill, thus refusing to listen to us. Now the government will have to make budgetary provisions. The state home department and finance department will need to divert some funds towards security bills,” another home department official said.

----------

Instead of spending these 20 crores behind Kasab, the Govt cud have invested the money in beefing up security at railway stations atleast!