BlackBerry 10 Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 9,012
i know a hardcore blackberry fan. and she has not been impressed with the changes they made in blackberry os 7. i am not even sure that blackberry would like a UI that is a pretty close copy of android. they are used to blackberry working in a certain manner. and that is very different from how android works. this alone could turn out to be a problem for Blackberry. they are probably going to alienate their hardcore user base while not having enough to attract android fans.

They have been pretty average off late in their mobile OSes & its been one of the causes of decline, and they know it & they are hoping for a radical change, i.e. BB10. Yes, it is going to have features which are similar to Android or iPhone, but I also think they will try & get some of their basics back, as you say, they need their loyal base to stick atleast till they manage to get some sort of base. And from what I see & understand, BB10 is having similarities to the Playbook OS & a bit of HP's Web OS. Another thing they are "seemingly" doing right is to get as much as apps on board before they launch, which they missed doing at Playbook launch and was a major cause of failure. By undercutting the price, they managed to see enough devices and also got developer's interested with free ones, so that when they launch BB10 - they could atleast reduce those mistakes.If you watched some videos & photos, they seemingly have come up with a UI which is similar to card stacking that was there on the Palm Pre devices. And specifications of the alpha device were good. If they can get their app ecosystem right & match it with a good UI and pricing, they might get a new audience. For the older audience, they need to get some of their older basics back , and get it right.

from what i see loyal customers do not care about any of the new things they are doing with bb10. they want their old fashioned devices with hardware keyboard. 🙂 bb is alienating their loyal user base. copying android is not going to do any good to them.

I am not sure if you frequent BB forums/blogs, but I occasionally do, especially after I bought the playbook, and a lot of people are waiting for BB10, and yes they want devices with hardware keyboard but with some new things thrown in as well.

well i just know a couple of hardcore blackberry users who are pretty content with what they have and they do not like how android behaves. i could be wrong though. but i do not see bb10 based touchscreen devices becoming popular. their main strength has always been the phones with hardware keyboards. even sliders are not popular. good for RIM if they can manage to retain the blackberry fanbase happy with bb10 whenever it rolls out!

Its not like they are abandoning the keyboard, all they have said it they will launch the touch-only device & then quickly followed by the keyboard one. Not sure, this delay means they can launch both together, or they will continue with their launch one followed by other strategy.Sometimes, even I feel that I should get a BB, hook up my playbook to the TV & use the BB as a remote and use my TV, almost like a smart TV, but I know, I would not be using it much, hence have put it off.

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins opens up, takes 10 questions from the public | CrackBerry.com

Q - One of the biggest challenges for BlackBerry is having a good number of high quality applications. Have you considered dropping the BlackBerry operating system and moving to either Android or Windows Phone 8? This would allow you to focus on building great devices and taking advantage of already-established app markets.
– David, 30, software developer in Calgary

A - Thorsten Heins: We have considered a range of options that included adopting someone else’s operating system, but ultimately we rejected that idea. We determined that the best way to build value for our stakeholders and do right by our users is to unite devices and software with BlackBerry 10 – building each from the ground up so they work together without a hitch. With the global market growing as fast as it is, we believe there is room and demand for an alternative to generic software. We have more than 90,000 applications up for sale on BlackBerry App World today and more than 3 billion applications have been downloaded from our store. We even have a way to move Android apps to BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, so we would actually be limiting choices by adopting another operating system.

Not sure how many Android Apps would be in App World for BB10 when it launches, but if they can get a lot of them to join in & get the message across. It might help them.

Well Well.. It would be interesting if it happens, but I doubt if it will happen any time soon and still skeptical as happening at all. I am not sure how many companies like Samsung/HTC will be keen on working on yet another OS & put their Touchwiz/Sense etc on it. Plus Blackberry will first try their hand at selling BB10 devices & only if it fails ,it might consider licensing it.