Bitcasa Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 9,879
Me too signed up. Lets see when we get acknowledged.

not going to work out for folks here in india unless they have beam/hayai type connectivity. you get a drive/folder on your system which is actually hosted on the cloud. and this drive has unlimited storage space for 10 dollars per month. think of it as a cloud based hard disk which you subscribe to.

Backblaze is a backup service. In this case you have to put files you want to store in the cloud in a particular folder. Am I right?. Both are somehow similar.

ok since you are not going to research into backblaze yourself. i would explain what backblaze is.

backblaze backups your entire computer's content on their servers. it does not provide access to the backed up data easily.

if you lose your data, you can either download it manually using their website or order it on DVDs by paying for it.

----------

Bitcasa is not like Dropbox or other similar services because it tries to work as a regular hard disk on your computer. essentially. when you save something on your computer, you are not saving it ON YOUR COMPUTER. but in the cloud.

and the cloud appears as a regular folder/drive on your machine and it is designed to work like one.

regularly accessed content is probably cached. but the entire content is not stored on your computer. so you can literally store TBs of data even if you have a small hard disk on your computer.

Unlimited backup ? May be there will be some catch, we know what unlimited hosting actually give. Which service gives maximum free backup ?

ok. backblaze actually provides unlimited backup for just 5 dollars per month. i can confirm that. no loopholes. bitcasa would offer 10 dollar unlimited storage. how? data deduplication. think about it. how much content on your computer is unique?

exactly. and for majority of folks that data would be fairly limited. couple of gigabytes for most. a terabyte or two for professionals. laws of averages works fine here. storage is cheap anyways. and is going to get cheaper with time.