BigBasket Data Breach

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 3,390
Just received email from Firefox monitor about data breach of my Big Basket account, what steps should I take next, I have already mailed them regarding account deletion.

If your payment details weren't saved there and you didn't reuse that password at other sites, nothing else you can do.

Unless you are open to changing your name

Got email from Firefox.
Email which is compromised is secondary which I use for e-comm website. Not sure if I had password as login happened by OTP always.
What about Address?

Got this reply from the customer support regarding account deletion request

If your payment details weren't saved there and you didn't reuse that password at other sites, nothing else you can do.

Unless you are open to changing your name
Nowadays I don't give my real name out except for financial and govt related apps and services - banks, cards income tax portal etc. Most often it'll be something random or for apps that needs my name to provide me services or to communicate, it'll either be an intial or something like "Jay"

Of course this does not help much when they leak your address and GPS coordinates as well in a data breach, but feels a little less violated.

Got email from Firefox.
Email which is compromised is secondary which I use for e-comm website. Not sure if I had password as login happened by OTP always.
What about Address?
No they implemented it only recently. The cracked passwords from the breach are being circulated widely now. Complete addresses are visible. Phone numbers too.

debit cards as well. I doubt most Indian payment gateways implement any sort of name verification. When they ask for "name on card", I just fill in the name that is on the card - "hdfc", "one", "icici" etc and it goes through.

This is a shame considering how many financial scams happen in India, every day. If I am not wrong, payment gateways can enforce this kind of verification. Gateway can force name and address verification in order to approve the transactions.

Only concern for me is about my address and mobile number as these things can't be changed easily. They deactivated my account but it doesn't help regarding the data leak.