big tv on pc using DVB-S card (working setup)

pretty in-depth tech stuff!!! can anybody explain in simpler way or any quicker way to do?

Good to see these discussions going on here guys. Now let me add another dimension to this story. I am going to setup mythtv with opensasc-ng. However, my feed is from D*n networks cable connection (DVB-C) which is encrypted using NDS.My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards. I have two dvb-c cards and planning to buy an infinity phoenix programmer. My intention is to use the two dvb-c cards simultaneously. Would i need to have 2 subscriber cards and hence 2 phoenix programmers. Or can newcs tune into multiple channels using a single subscriber card.Thanks

My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards.
Thanks

I cannot answer your question directly but help you give some direction. Have you looked at MediaPortal? MediaPortal (MP) in conjunction with ForTheRecord is a very powerful DVR. I know that MP supports multiple channels to be viewed or recorded simultaneously with one DVB-S(2) card as long as the channels are on the same transponder.

I suggest you read up on MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - Home and For The Record to see if it supports multiple recording/watching/streaming with a DVB-C.

-Srikanth

Good to see these discussions going on here guys. Now let me add another dimension to this story. I am going to setup mythtv with opensasc-ng. However, my feed is from D*n networks cable connection (DVB-C) which is encrypted using NDS.

My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards.

I have two dvb-c cards and planning to buy an infinity phoenix programmer. My intention is to use the two dvb-c cards simultaneously. Would i need to have 2 subscriber cards and hence 2 phoenix programmers. Or can newcs tune into multiple channels using a single subscriber card.

Thanks

yes, you can watch as many channels simultaneously as you like. newcs is just a card server and it will hand out the keys for any channel you ask it for, provided of course that the smart card gives the keys to newcs. you can connect multiple clients to newcs, even across the network, so you could be watching your favorite show on ABC over mythtv and your friend could be watching something else using progdvb on windows 🙂 this is called card sharing 🙂

Thanks skoka123/mickeymouse0007 for your comments. My soul is sold out to linux, so i will stick with mythtv. It can too record multiple channels if they are on the same transponder.So, what i need is one phoenix reader, one subscriber card and two dvb-c cards to get two tuners working simultaneously? Am i right in assuming that the job of newcs/phoenix is only to get the keys and not to decrypt the signal. The software CAM does that job. So all in all as long i have a single subscriber card but multiple dvb-c cards i can tune into multiple channels at the same time?

@mickeymouse0007,How is your setup working. I might dump Cable altogether and go for DVB-S. Did you not have any issues of card blowup like Tata Sky. and at what frequency do you access the card in phoenix?

hey guys,seems like there is a change in dvb stream. i'm not able to some watch sports channels(except ten sports and dd sports). Wincsc is able to decode the channels but there is no video and audio data.. can anybody verify this?i tried switching cards but the problem persists.

Hi.. I very recently purchased a DVB-S card which works well with Prog DVB.
Firstly, I want to know if this setup is still working.
And then want to know if Big TV smart card work with USB Infinity Smart (instead of USB Infinity Unlimited)(details here)