BHIM UPI App

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 288
  • Views Views 27,095
i am already scared of giving away my fingerprint to some untrusted vendor.

Also based on article... and description on how app works..... i think people are going to find application complicated!

This is actually one of the simpler apps I have tried. Yes Bank is not supported right now.

i am already scared of giving away my fingerprint to some untrusted vendor.

Also based on article... and description on how app works..... i think people are going to find application complicated!
Same thoughts I had.
With Paytm we just need phone number to transfer money (although other person receiving money may have issue to get money in bank account).
With UPI/BHIM, its seems complicated unless some easy steps are provided to people.

UPI is simpler because money is not routed through a virtual wallet. You don't need to remember managing balance in that wallet. And one app works for all bank accounts. Right now different stores offer payment through different platforms. You have to have money in the wallet supported by the shopkeeper.

Learning curve of Paytm is higher than upi. It's only popular because of the marketing force behind it. I for one is happy to see government finally pushing upi. Paytm is enabling payments that might never be accounted in the end. Shopkeepers open multiple accounts and that money is never shown in books. You just need a sim.

Most of small Shopkeepers are accepting Paytm in personal accounts. Only big brands are accepting on company accounts.

UPI is yes easy and simple... because it works on email address type system.

But I was talking about BHIM app. Description of process looked complicated.

All upi apps have same work flow. You verify your number. You select your bank. App detects your bank account connected to that number and bank. You create MPIN. And it's done. Some apps require APIN to load the app. BHIM seems to be one of them. Paytm doesn't make these pins mandatory which makes it unsafe.

For UPI buyer sends money. (which is safe)

Here in BHIM it seems that vendor types the amount and buyer gives finger print!!

Now if buyer is not careful - then much more money can be withdrawn by sender.

That might be the Aadhaar powered payment system. Upi doesn't use fingerprint and just requires VPA. Since Yes Bank is not available I have not been able to actually configure the app.

from what i remember reading idbi was creating the app or had created the app that was being used for aadhaar based payment. this app might also have that feature. but upi on its own does not use fingerprint. you just need vpa that can be entered manually or scanned using a qr code similar to Paytm. none of the screenshots of the app show anything that resembles aadhaar based payment which requires fingerprint scanning.

1mI2LGJ.png
Sjewlek.png
AgBLJyT.png
TSmzluq.png
OzTpsTx.png
kVkfCKN.png
EDuY54P.png

How does it work?
Merchants need to download the Aadhaar cashless merchant app on their smartphones connected to a biometric reader, which is currently available for Rs 2,000. The customer will then feed his or her Aadhar number into the app, select the bank through which the transaction will take place, and the biometric scan will work as a password for the transaction to be authenticated.

This is definitely not the BHIM app UPI component. NDTV seems confused. Or the app has this as an extra feature.

anyone who was able to create a @upi VPA using this app can confirm if aadhaar is involved in any way during the process? @vishal1082 and @Nishant might be able to confirm.

I think BHIM app is different. In background it uses UPI.

BHIM app does not need "buyer" to have mobile OR internet.

It asks to fill in buyer's aadhar card. Asks for amount and asks for fingerprint

And then money gets automatically deducted from account which is seeded in Aadhar. (remember banks keep asking for aadhar seeding)

Once buyer authenticates. The app uses UPI to transfer money from buyer to seller account.

from the description, i am guessing that this app can be used to pay using aadhaar if the merchant has purchased the biometric reader and has also installed that app. idiots have merged upi into the same app i guess.

honestly speaking, i do not see why i need an app if i am paying using aadhaar in the first place. the guy would scan my finger on his own phone. and he would be entering my aadhaar number in his own phone as well. how does this app help at all? unless of course, you are scanning qr code and doing the fingerprint scanning on your own device.

exactly. thats what i said. buyer does not need app.

And seller needs finger print machine certified by government.

from the looks of it, bhim is just like PhonePe without the extra bullshit (wallet, recharges, bill payments) and that's cool. i would use it over phonepe once yes bank is supported as long they do not plaster it with modi images and speeches. indane website actually starts playing an audio speech from modi as soon as you load it.

https://indane.co.in/Index.php