Bharti airtel launches high capacity direct terrestrial link between India and China

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,661
40Gbps = 40 x 1024mbps = 40,960 users with 1mbps connection. These kind bandwidth are bought by small datacentres in some parts of the world.I dont see much improvement to any kind of internet traffic, except content hosted in china from sites like youku.

They won't even be giving 1 mbps unlimited without FUP to a single user in the whole country even if they build 1,00,000 TBps capcacity somehow.

if we are to believe mgcarley, they ALREADY have enough bandwidth to give out 2mbps UL connections to every customer of theirs without putting much load on their existing infrastructure.

40Gbps = 40 x 1024mbps = 40,960 users with 1mbps connection.

These kind bandwidth are bought by small datacentres in some parts of the world.

I dont see much improvement to any kind of internet traffic, except content hosted in china from sites like youku.

Actually, 40Gbit/s is 40,000 Mbit/s. Bit/s are measured in Base10.

They won't even be giving 1 mbps unlimited without FUP to a single user in the whole country even if they build 1,00,000 TBps capcacity somehow.

The more the better, though. I think what this will allow them to do is to buy routes to the US from China (maybe even Japan) which I suspect is way cheaper than even Singapore.

if we are to believe mgcarley, they ALREADY have enough bandwidth to give out 2mbps UL connections to every customer of theirs without putting much load on their existing infrastructure.

Yes, pretty much. 40Gbit/s is peanuts. I'm hoping this is an error in the article in that day-1 lit capacity is 40Gbit/s, design capacity up to so-many Tbit/s.

Bharti already have close to 20Tbit/s available to them in/out of India alone. How much is actually lit up is another story. Airtel (or, rather, AS9498, which means also anyone who buys off Bharti is included in this figure) are doing between 100-200Gbit/s - an increase of 40Gbit/s is - best case - not even 20%.

Compare this to I-ME-WE (yet another Airtel & consortia project) which opened up recently with a capacity of 3.84Tbit/s.