Best Wireless Routers for Home Use?

@manojrk
So while connecting from a device you use the appropriate SSID?
Also tell me if my understanding is correct - 5GHZ delivers better speeds but poor range and vice versa for 2.4... hence the reason I am getting 140 on my ipad when I am on the same room as the router and I connect to the 5Ghz SSID !

@Jay
I agree, 60 is good. But I was just wondering what delivers those good speeds. Can you link me to some routers? This is more for learning rather than buying, so do let me know.
Also considering that speeds are only going to increase is it wiser to get a ac1600 or AC1900, what do you think in terms of future proofing? Also ac**** does not having anything to do with the wired LAN speed right, I guess as long as the router has a gigabit ethernet port we should get the promised speeds right? OR am I wrong?

And would you believe it if I told you that ACT sells it at 4.5K. For new customer who pay in bulk it is free and for customers like me who have been with them for 3 years, I have to pay much higher than the MRP. If not for their speeds man... really shady business practices

Last edited:
Yep. As you may have already noticed, 5GHz has much shorter range than 2.4GHz.
Can you link me to some routers? This is more for learning rather than buying, so do let me know.
Also considering that speeds are only going to increase is it wiser to get a ac1600 or AC1900, what do you think in terms of future proofing?
I used TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 for a brief period before returning it. The range and speeds were only slightly better than R6220. I have heard good things about R7000 and Asus RT AC68U but they cost way more than R6220, prices are on par with enterprise grade routers/access points. Like Jay suggested this might be the only router with gigabit ports and wireless AC under 5K, sometimes goes on sale for 3K.
Also ac**** does not having anything to do with the wired LAN speed right, I guess as long as the router has a gigabit ethernet port we should get the promised speeds right? OR am I wrong?
Yes and Yes. You will be getting the advertised speeds as long as the router has gigabit port.

I hope I am not hijacking someone's thread.

I am going to book DEN FTTH plan in Gurgaon and evaluating router options. DEN will provide 100mbps via a RJ45 LAN cable.
I have been using Linksys WRT54G since 2008 whenever ISP didn't provide a Wireless Router. I consider this opportunity to invest in a future-safe router. I have set following requirements:

- Budget around Rs. 3000-3500
- Excellent Signal Coverage (There is a wall between router and devices)
- Gigabit LAN (future-safe)
- Preferably with external antennae (past experiences)
- Warranty up to 3 year (D-Link offers)
- 802.11 AC (Wireless N is sufficient for now. I have phone supporting AC. Next laptop shall have AC too)
- AC 1200 mbps (Do I really need that much for being future-safe?)
- QoS bandwidth control for devices connected
- USB Port for printer sharing
(Don't have a printer for now, but good to have wireless printing)
- USB Port for 4G/3G Dongle (Optional)

I have found three routers that match quite closely:
TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Netgear R6220 AC-1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
D-Link DIR-842 Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Router

What do you guys say?

Last edited:
Going good. I am happy with the router.

Tested with 2.4GHz band.
Signal strength between -20 to -30 in the vicinity of the router.
Signal strength between -35 to -45 in room behind the wall where router is placed.
Signal strength between -40 to -45 in the long hall at 20ft far from the router with line-of-sight.
Signal strength between -60 to -80 in the balcony behind few walls.

- Always need to use an incognito window to access router home page.
+ Lots of options to configure.