Best wireless router for streaming with minimum 50 mbps speed

• Thread starter Thread starter Njnbat15
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 11,523
80MB data was downloaded while testing download speeds.
110MB data was uploaded while testing upload speeds.
Latency values I imagine is for when nothing is downloaded (2ms) and when data transfer is taking place (9ms). both values are fine imo.

Last edited:
Ok. I don't think its an issue with wifi card.

Reason 1 : When ethernet cable is connected directly to laptop speed is above 70 mbps, but when ethernet cable is connected to router and from output port of the router, if Lan is connected to laptop, speed is below 30 mbps.

In this scenario, no wifi card is involved and I believe it should be the same ISP speed that I must be getting. This also means to me that the moment A9 router is in between, there is a lag of 40-50 mbps speed.

Reason 2: In the last 3-4 weeks, Along with TP-Link and Asus models I had tested Netgear R6220. This consistently gave above 60-70 Mbps range in a surface pro 6.

I understand that, but if it's not that wifi card, then it's the router right but you have tested so many , that we can't blame it on the routers anymore. But there has to be something wrong here.

I will tell you my setup.

Intel 9260 (laptop's internal card) with c9, hathway fiber.

Also forget abt the wifi here, even Ethernet cable to router and then LAN to laptop and speed goes down for you, even that doesn't make sense. speed should be exactly the same regardless direct connection wired or router in b/w. Even my old routers of netgear and tplink which costs 700 , gives me the same speed as with direct connection.

Have you tried with some other like a diff laptop/ps4/xbox and chked the speeds then? It's very hard to pinpoint the exact cause to be honest. Btw I hope you checked with archer c9 , as you wrote a9 on above post and c9 on the initial post.

It is archer C9.

I have tried Ethernet with an HP x360 laptop . Since surface pro 6 does not come with a Ethernet port I could only verify the WIFI speed.

I used Amazon firetv stick and checked internet speed and it comes down to less than 25 mbps.

Didn’t try with PS4 .

So if router doesn’t give full speed straight through LAN connection, does it surely mean the router is defective ?

And I am surprised to see all 3 TP-Link products and the Asus model failing to give the same speed, forget, not even half the speed.

Only Netgear R6620 managed it so far.

I was eager to go for Netgear R7000 but then the buggy firmware issues are not something I wanna deal with.

As I said, why would I be receiving so many defective products online ?

Is there any other way to purchase ?

I mean, I got my c9 online via flipkart. I love it and have zero issues whatsoever wireless/Wired. I have lenovo 530s and it also doesn't have LAN port. I use it with PS4, iPhone XS, samsung j7, laptop and even an old laptop (g50-80). I prefer it to be wireless not bcoz of convinience but bcoz it gives me exactly the same speeds if not more with wireless compared to wire.

May be in your laptop settings you have put your driver for wireless in low power mode or something. But still I think this is wrong. we both are missing something here definitely. So many faulty routers is impossible imo. I have 3 more routers and none have the problem with atleast wired conn. Wireless is seperate issue and only c9's 5.0ghz was able to solve for me.

I think there is something we are missing here and as I am not physically present there , so I would be useless for any troubleshooting. Try figuring it out somehow. Which ISP are you using anyways btw?

So do you think I should wait till TP-Link team continue with another round of remote troubleshooting before replacing the product ?

manufacturer support is always useless unless you are new to these kind of these and ofcourse you aren't one.

May be faulty LAN port or may be you are using a very old LAN cable? try with cat 5e/6/7 and see if it works. However I am doubtful , I have this LAN cable which is 6 yrs old and still gives me atleast 100mbps.

I apologize for being useless.

or may be try changing the ISP for what it is worth, but still I don't think that will be the issue as you get50mbps+ via ethernet directly from the ISP.

btw what speeds you see on the wireless connection via ncpa.cpl ?

like this :
Bnd6cG2.png

Aha! this is 2.4ghz I suppose , 72mbps shd give u round about around 6mb/s on torrents, can u chk?

also connect to 5.0ghz and give me thhe same screenshot with 5.0 connected.

seems to be alright. Should be giving you speeds. Looks like your wifi card is fine and router is fine so prob shd be ISP but your direct Ethernet giving you top speeds but not with direct LAN with router. Very hard to locate where is the problem.

well , it seems to be fine and you have tried several routers before, and it's impossible that all routers are bad no?

Honestly, I am out of any ideas now though, don't know where the fault lies here.