Best wireless internet in Chennai?

• Thread starter Thread starter vimall
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 71,044

vimall

ISP
none
Hello, I would like to know which ISP is the best provider of wireless internet in Chennai.Is Airtel wireless broadband good? Do we need to get a land line in order to acquire a wireless internet connection?Is Relaince Net connect+ good? I don't want to spend much time on installation of the connection. I am looking for a data card type or just a wifi modem for usage, which gets instantly activated on purchase. Also I would like to have an unlimited plan for my connection. Please advice me in this regard. (I don't want wired connection)(I am quite new to India and hence I have no idea about the internet situation here) 🙂

Ok.. To get started with.. Data cards - First, for all services whether its 3G/CDMA , all companies provide high speed only upto a certain limit, one can say 10 GB is the average norm. After that you either get very low speeds or you need to recharge (at expensive rates) to continue using high speeds. There is no true high-speed unlimited internet connection here. Secondly, coming to Reliance Netconnect, the speed is good in certain places, terrible at others, so its best to ask the vendor to give a demo at your place or somewhere very close to where you stay to judge correctly. This is true for all providers, not only Reliance. Now, coming to Airtel Wireless broadband. You must be either meaning wired broadband or 3G. If its wired broadband you are ok with, then will speak about that. If its 3G, then again I would go back to what I was saying about data cards earlier, you would get good speeds, but you need to check & its an expensive & not really true unlimited. Either you would get low speeds beyond a limit or need to keep recharging at a high cost.Airtel broadband you can get a wired line & have a wi-fi modem or modem with router to browse wirelessly in your place. This would hold true for other "wired" connections as well..Not to confuse you & not recommending a brand but there are other wireless providers like Tikona/Wi-5 as well. Need to look for reviews & availability around.

Yes, I am talking about Airtel Broadband connection. But I only want the WiFi internet (modem) and not the land line. Is this possible?And by the way, I guess you're also living in Chennai. Which internet are you using?

There is a big difference between using a Wi-Fi on a wired broadband connection and using a purely wireless connection. A wired connection can be used wirelessly by using a wireless router. It would provide internet connectivity in a limited area around that router. A wireless connection is more like a mobile phone. It works anywhere as long as you have a signal. Quality of service depends upon network congestion and quality of signal. For a wired connection: You would need a landline for a wired connection. It is your choice if you want to use that landline for making calls. You would need a wireless modem or a modem + wireless router to get wireless internet access through a wired connection at your place.Almost all operators would offer a wireless router that works as a modem and the wireless router. Though you can always get a basic modem from the ISP and get your own wireless router.

chromaniac has answered your question about wi-fi/landline. Currently using BSNL. My broadband saga has been - Hathway -> Airtel -> Reliance -> BSNL. Since you are not essentially from around here, BSNL maybe difficult to get. Airtel looks the best bet when it comes to wired. Around which area will you be staying at.

I would be living around Shenoy Nagar and for about 6 months. I think wireless internet is quite hassle free (since there are no wires🙂 , so which wireless internet would be good?I heard reliance has got good network coverage in Chennai (net connect+). What is your opinion?

here is the thing about wireless connections. there are no guarantees about quality of service. you cannot rely upon a user's experience in another part of the city. because it all depends upon how the coverage is in your area. where are you in your house. and how much network congestion is there.

Also another question. I see a lot of data plans in every company. Here's my question. Suppose I subscribe for 10GB plan @2mbps Unlimited per month (post speed 155kbps). Now if I subscribe this for 3 months does that mean I can use 3x10GB=30GB after which the speeds would come to 155kbps?Thanks for your valuable replies.

Since its only 6 months, datacard does make sense. Question is whats going to be usage. If its around 10 GB then it should be ok, but I would still say approach the vendor and ask him if he can give a demo in your place.Ofcourse, it does seem I live around 2-3 k.m. away from your place. Sample this, Tata photon+ was good about 2 k.m. (in a different direction) away from my place, but same was terrible in mine.

One more question. There's a 10GB plan @ 3.1Mbps (post 155kbps). Now if I subscribe this for 3 months does that mean I get 3X10Gb=30Gb of usage for 3 months after which my speed is reduced? Or is it on monthly basis?Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions.

One more question. I noticed a 10Gb plan @3.1mbps (post 155kbps). This plan is for a month but if I sub for 3 months then does that mean I get 3X10 GB=30 Gb for 3 months after which the speed drops to 155kbps? Or is it on monthly basis?

One more question. I noticed a 10Gb plan @3.1mbps (post 155kbps). This plan is for a month but if I sub for 3 months then does that mean I get 3X10 GB=30 Gb for 3 months after which the speed drops to 155kbps? Or is it on monthly basis??

If you have a better BSNL coverage in your area. You may go for Bsnl 3G postpaid 700 unlimited plan. You will get 6 GB @ 3.6 mbps & 256kbps post 6 GB. Better than other providers who offer 128kbps or 155kbps post datacap ...