Best Web Hosting in India

I want to host my website and looking for web hosting provider. But the issue is should I opt for VPN or shared plan as I need better security and reliability.

if you want better reliability, get a VPS. VPN has nothing to do with web hosting.

So basically you're trying to host a simple website which may have some HTML pages or some PHP pages or a script like Wordpress. Then you should go for Shared Hosting.

Judging that most of the visitors to your website are from India then,
you should go for Hostgator India Shared Hosting.
If most of the visitors are from the
US -> NameCheap US shared hosting, BlueHost shared hosting.
Europe -> NameCheap UK shared, OVH web hosting.

When should one switch from Shared hosting/Web hosting to a VPS ?

When your website traffic increases from 5K visitors/day. Usually your web/shared hosting provider will make you aware if you're using more resources then you're allotted and will ask you to shift to a VPS.

If you're planning to get a VPS from India. DigitalOcean Droplet with Bangalore Data-center is the best choice. (Price: 5$/pm 512MB/20GB/1TB)

I have used each and every one of the web/shared hosting and VPS providers listed above and based on my experience I have listed the same.

If you need any further information, let me know.

DreamPress is too expensive for a single WordPress blog if you do not have much traffic (revenue). Best is to get their VPS hosting for USD 15 per month and manage your blog manually. You get ability to host more sites.

though it seems like a good option if you have a fairly popular wordpress blog that generate good revenues as varnish and other caching solutions are properly configured and available to your blog. I have struggled to find any good caching solution on their vps which is running this forum right now.