• Thread starter Thread starter d00by
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 19,118

d00by

Regular
ISP
Airtel 1099 Explorer Unlimited
I am thinking of utilizing the wi-fi feature of my laptop by buying a wifi(wireless whatever) router so that I can enjoy internet anywhere on my house on my laptop.What router would you recommend for my airtel 999 home plus connection? What is the cost in new delhi?After buying how do i set it up? Do i just connect it to beetel modem and then my laptop will automatically detect it or do i have to do somethig else?I have beetel 220bx modem. 🙄

You can go for Netgear. It would cost approx 2.2k. Have been using it fr 1 year, working good so far. THis forum has posts on setup instructions.

Is There any loss of speed as compared to connecting through cable?

Also, Can my neighbour access my wifi without my realizing it? How secure is it?

Also, Can I use it to transfer data between my wifi laptop and my 5 year old desktop computer?

Sorry for the long list of questions..

I JUST Want to ensure that I will get a secure and fast connection if I opt for wifi... 🙄 😱

There will not be any loss of speed due to WiFi, it will 4 millisconds delay in opening web pages.Your neighbour can not access net through WiFi if you have secured it through WAP. To put is simple, you have to enable WAP and select a long password. On the PC, you have to enter this password once.You can share data with PC if it has USB port or a free PCI slot. You will need to buy a WiFi card for PC as well.

There will be no loss of speeds.

To disable your neighbour from looting your bandwidth, the simplest solution is to make sure that the network settings are set such that the router does nto broadcast your SSID (Name of your network) - most average users won't even know then that your network exists. But in addition to that, as netfreak recommends, you should use some encryption - WEP or WPA (whatever your wireless router and your laptop's wireless card support). You should also change the password of your wireless router configuration from the default setting.

You can use it to transfer data quite easily, but sharing folders with password protection is something I haven't figured out in XP, and in fact have a thread about it.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Oct 11 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]64825[/snapback]
To disable your neighbour from looting your bandwidth, the simplest solution is to make sure that the network settings are set such that the router does nto broadcast your SSID (Name of your network) - most average users won't even know then that your network exists. But in addition to that, as netfreak recommends, you should use some encryption - WEP or WPA (whatever your wireless router and your laptop's wireless card support). You should also change the password of your wireless router configuration from the default setting.
[/b]

How do i hide this SSID thingy and what is this WPA stuff. Is it difficult to setup? I have XP Home SP2.

The SSID is the Id (you can think of it as the name) of your wireless network. The name usually by default is the manufacturer of your router. So i you buy a Netgear wifi router, your default SSID would be "Netgear". Another default setting is that SSID is set to broadcast itself. So your router would be shouting out the name of the network to anyone who can pick it's signal.So the lesson is that if you don't do anything, and I am your neighbour, it will show me that the "Netgear" network is available, and I can log onto it with no problems, and steal your bandwidth. That's why you disable the Broadcast SSID option. This just means that when you want to connect to the network, you need to know the SSID.This brings us to the second thing to do. Change your SSID. Even if your router is not broadcasting your SSID, but your neighbour knows that you have a netgear router, he can log on to your network with minimal effort. If you however change the SSID to something like "d00by2469837" then.. well... you can figure out what the chnaces are of your neighbour figuring it out of the blue.This brings us to WEP/WPA... it's just another level of protection in the form of encryption. IF you don't know what that means, just understand that it is to protect yourself from someone "eavesdropping" on your internet usage. For the average person who doesn't do anything important, or let's say confidential, on the internet, this is not really essential. But if you value security and/or have important data you wouldn't like someone (like a hacker) to spy on, then you must do it.It's not very difficult to set up at all.... 10-15 minutes of research on google will make you more than comfortable doing it.

Oh wow.. you are real smart with this computer stuff....

As Desmond from LOST woud say 'Thank you and I'll see you in another life BROTHA' !!" 🙂

Also the most foolproof way is to enable MAC access control in the router and add the MAC Addresses of your wireless devices to the allow list. This will basically bind them to the router and prevent any unknown devices such as your neighbour's laptop from logging on to your wireless network.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Oct 11 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]64867[/snapback]
This brings us to WEP/WPA... it's just another level of protection in the form of encryption. IF you don't know what that means, just understand that it is to protect yourself from someone "eavesdropping" on your internet usage. For the average person who doesn't do anything important, or let's say confidential, on the internet, this is not really essential. But if you value security and/or have important data you wouldn't like someone (like a hacker) to spy on, then you must do it.
[/b]

If you do not have unlimited connection, you need to safeguard your download limits as well 🙁

In a netwrok wihtout WPA, it quite easy to sniff SSID and MAC address. And if someone is a serious downloader and lives near your house, your net bill can grow like anything.

QUOTE(d00by @ Oct 12 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]64980[/snapback]
Ok. it is settled then

I am going to nehru place today to buy Netgear wireless router. 🙂

Hope it goes smoothly........
[/b]

what are the 4 ethernet ports on netgear router meant 4?

can i do this thing

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diagramhs1.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/156/diagramhs1.jpg

BTW, guys what is the range of these routers? I mean is it possible that my router is in one room and I can access internet thru laptop sitting in other room?

Or is it that I have sit near the router and it just provides me freedom from wires?

EDIT: Is this wireless Netgear router u have been recommending http://cgi.ebay.in/NETGEAR-WGR614-54MBPS-W...1QQcmdZViewItem, I am waiting for ur replies. I would buy one soon if the range atleast extends to my small 2 BHK flat... 😉

Netgrear works in my 2 BHK flat very well. It works across 3 brick walls. Only thing is if you have a 2.4 GHz cordless or there is a microwave oven between router and your laptop then it might not work at all.