Best Modem Configuration For 256kbps Unlimited

lord_nemesis

My Airtel Phone Installlation was done yesterday and would be getting the Modem today. From what i heard, I would be most probably getting the 200BX ADSL Modem. I have read that there are three modes of operation for this.1. USB2. Ethernet with Manual Dialup3. Ethernet with Auto DialingSo Would like to know what is the best setup for this modem for Torrent Downloads. I use Win XP mostly and have provision for both LAN as well as USB. Also Which is the best torrent client. I was earlier using Azureus. I have also tried muTorrent on another machine which was also good. should i stick with Azureus or is muTorrent better.Also If I were to purchase a ADSL modem myself, which one should i go for and the approx price for the same.Thanks in Advance...

i would recommend u to avoid getting a router for yourself unless you want to make use of some advance features which are not available on the router provided by airtel. the reason being, airtel would not take any responsibility of speeds and connectivity on your router. and with airtel, they are responsible for any malfunctioning router or its adapter which go bad sometime or the other.

Here are ur answers
1. Use the third option i.e Ethernet with router/modem set to automatically dial when u switch it on. Using the usb option will give u stablility problems.

2. Next u will have to forward ports for torrents. Here is how to do it https://broadband.forum/index.php?showtopic=4451

3. Stick with Azureus if ur computer can handdle it i.e. has a fast processor and sufficent RAM. Otherwise go for utorrent.

4. No need for purchasing ADSL modem coz if u take it on rental from Airtel then u don't have to worry in case something goes wrong with it. Airtel will replace it no questions asked!!

The Airtel Guy came and configured the Modem with Ethernet Auto Dialup. No NAT option is available in the Modem config page. When I fired up Azureus, It started working fine. Also speed is about 23~25KBps for the Torrent files. So I guess there is no need for forwarding ports.