• Thread starter Thread starter snpexim
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 56,170

snpexim

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband DSL-599; kbps=210 down / 450 up
The D-Link modem router: DSL-502T allows one to connect to: http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webcom Thereafter, one can go to: advanced>firewall and there is a whole page of choices for setting up your own firewall.

Does anyone know / have tried out and experienced this? Any guidance to avoid pitfalls since there is no help from the help lines? 🙁

I wish to use this firewall instead of going in for the Zone Alarm that I had before.

Best wishes.

"If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. 😀

You mean to use the built in hardware firewall. But its diffucult to change settings like software firewalls though.If any misconfiguration arises, just reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the modem. The built in firewall is a bit rudementary though. 🙁

but hardware firewalls are always recommended if u have one .. u should definitely use it

Yeah if you have a dedicated firewall appliance. I think that the built in firewall of the ADSL router is not so customizable and powerful though...

This is the MTNL Triband blog ... right?Chaps .... this is a chat forum not a yap forum. Where is the guidance that I seek?Techies insist that a hardware firewall is best. So this is it.Anyone has tried it out or what?I need specific, precise and accurate info please. Best wishes.

Originally posted by snpexim@Jun 19 2005, 12:31 AM
This is the MTNL Triband blog  ...  right?
Chaps  ....  this is a chat forum not a yap forum. 
Where is the guidance that I seek?
Techies insist that a hardware firewall is best.  So this is it.
Anyone has tried it out or what?
I need specific, precise and accurate info please. 
Best wishes.
[snapback]13149[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know why " Techies " insist on hardware firewall ........ but by using hardware firewall , I am not able to know what's coming in my computer & going out from my computer. I use software firewall , I need to know what's coming in & out of my machine I have to hide lots of thing 🙂

BTW . i tested router firewall in many security sites ....... it fails the tests
right combination of router firewall & software firewall worked for me

if u are used to it, i think u are doing rather good. 🙂 moving would be confusing and perhaps a sad experience. ofcourse if u are having any problems with it, than u should move. any firewall is as good as it is setup to be.

Yes.... but setting up can be quite an issue sometimes especially with newbies. In my opinion the firewall that is easiest to setup and gives the least amount of problems is Mcafee.