Best DNS for Sify to increase speed.

• Thread starter Thread starter popcorn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 22,795

popcorn

ISP
Some company Broadband 50mbps + Jio Airfiber 30mbps
Does anyone know which DNS to use with Sify Broadband to speed up the browsing and to reduce the DNS timeouts? Can we use a non Sify DNS or a free DNS? Please advice.

Browse the past posts or "Search" for Sify DNS and you'd get a couple of Sify DNS server IPs we all discussed in the past. Try pinging them if your pings aren't blocked, or, try using them in various orders, to see whether you get the improvement in the browsing speeds that you want.

ANd yeah dns cant make ur internet connection go toooo wild and give heavy speeds . Dns servers just resolve hostname to ip addresses . Once connection is made with site then dns has no play in it anymore . DNs may speed up browsing litttle bit but they wont help u while dloading bcoz while browsing mostly addresses are resolved through dns and during dload its done only once !!Btw i havent noticed sify's dns servers to be that bad 🤔 .You can use nslookup utility to see time taken by diff dns servers 😉

ANd yeah dns cant make ur internet connection go toooo wild and give heavy speeds . Dns servers just resolve hostname to ip addresses . Once connection is made with site then dns has no play in it anymore . DNs may speed up browsing litttle bit but they wont help u while dloading bcoz while browsing mostly addresses are resolved through dns and during dload its done only once !!Btw i havent noticed sify's dns servers to be that bad 🤔 .You can use nslookup utility to see time taken by diff dns servers 😉

Sorry to bump an old topic, but sify's DNS servers have been a large source of trouble for me (it takes two or three browser requests for the name to be resolved).The only DNS server I can ping is 202.144.66.6, but then it shows a packet loss of 17%. The other two servers I was provided were 202.144.50.4 and 202.144.115.4, but they seem to be blocking ping requests. In any case, all three seem to be performing very poorly. Does anyone know of other DNS servers which can be used (for delhi)?I tried searching the forums for DNS, unfortunately 3 letter searches are not allowed.Thanks.

Yeah All the Sify DNS are performing very poor these days....as a result browsing is very slow though download rate is fineAnother DNS is 202.144.13.50.....though its as bad I cannot ping any DNS server

well if that really matters to you .. then add a custom dns entry in HOSTS file for fastest dns resolution 😛 ( no resolution 😉 )

@Gaurav, if your DNS is very slow, you can add the domain name to IP address mapping in a local file on your system, called the hosts file. That way, if you add the entry of www.google.com in your local file, instead of resolving the domain name at your Domain Name Server, your operating system will directly hunt for the IP address which you provided.

The hosts file is located at -

Unix = /etc/hosts
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

In hosts file Sifymall.com and citibank.co.in entries have already been made by the BB client to facilitate the offline renewal

boygr8, can you post those entries from your hosts file for sifymall and citibank....i would like to add them to mine.My bbclient has not put any such references.

Did u check the hosts file in the location according to the OS as mentioned above???It shud be there if u have BBclient v 2.7 installed .Anyway i will post the entries.......it's just the domain name with their resolved ips

here are the entries of citibank and sifymall from the hosts file

203.197.24.163 www.citibank.co.in
210.210.19.82 www.sifymall.com