Beam cable with TPLINK router issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Ravi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4,427
ISP
Beam
I took the beam connection 8 months back and I bought my own router TP-Link TDW8968.
I have been using initially in PPOE mode in that router but the connection wasnt kept alive. I had to connect the cable to my laptop to login into beam portal and then reconnect it to the router. Later, I started using dynamic IP mode which worked well.
Since last 2 weeks, I am seeing frequent connection drops in the router. I upgraded the firmware to the latest but still seeing the same. But when I connect the cable to laptop its working well.
Beam assigns a different subnet IP address if connecting via router thru PPOE (183 series) mode. But when I connect the cable to my laptop directly it again gets a different subnet IP address (49 series). I am not sure where the problem lies.
Any ideas to figure that out? How do I troubleshoot the router and beam cable to pinpoint the root cause?

thanks,
Ravi

just connect the bean wire to router and try to run the automatic setup wizard.

pppoe is fine but automatic prob works well.

also do you use company laptop? I ve seen company's VPN interferes with bean portal page.

I took the beam connection 8 months back and I bought my own router TP-Link TDW8968.
I have been using initially in PPOE mode in that router but the connection wasnt kept alive. I had to connect the cable to my laptop to login into beam portal and then reconnect it to the router. Later, I started using dynamic IP mode which worked well.
Since last 2 weeks, I am seeing frequent connection drops in the router. I upgraded the firmware to the latest but still seeing the same. But when I connect the cable to laptop its working well.
Beam assigns a different subnet IP address if connecting via router thru PPOE (183 series) mode. But when I connect the cable to my laptop directly it again gets a different subnet IP address (49 series). I am not sure where the problem lies.
Any ideas to figure that out? How do I troubleshoot the router and beam cable to pinpoint the root cause?

thanks,
Ravi
I too am using beam fiber with TP Link router. I have found PPPoE login is bit finicky with stock TP Link firmware. I have flashed Openwrt onto mine and now it connect via PPPoE just fine. Might be worth trying in your case