Battles in the sky

• Thread starter Thread starter stev29
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,046

stev29

ISP
broadband 512 Kbps TATA
BROADCAST: The rush for subscribers continues, but DTH companies must acquire content at cheaper prices to stay in the race. Having met its target of acquiring one million subcribers in its first year of operations, direct-to-home (DTH) company Tata Sky is looking to overtake its rival and the country’s largest DTH company Dish TV in the next 18-20 months. The Zee group’s DTH arm Dish TV currently has 2.3 million subscribers. According to sources, Tata Sky is looking to overtake Dish TV in the next 18-24 months through aggressive marketing, better quality of service, and possible discounts in pricing of its current offerings to its susbcribers. Currently, a Dish TV connection comes at a one-time payment of Rs 3,150 plus a monthly outgo of Rs 160-300 while Tata Sky costs Rs 4,000 (one-time) plus a monthly outgo of Rs 160-300. "Tata Sky may drop the one-time charges by 10-15 per cent for a limited period so as to take on Dish TV," an industry source says. "The company’s aggressive future plans also take into account the planned launch of DTH services from Reliance Bluemagic and Bharti Airtel company," a source familiar with the plans of Tata Sky says. While Reliance Bluemagic may be launched by the year-end, Bharti’s DTH venture will take off by March 2008. Launched on 8 August, 2006, Tata Sky acquired one million subscribers in a record time of 12 months. According to industry sources, the Zee group’s DTH arm Dish TV acquired its first 10 lakh subscribers in about 20 months from its launch in mid-2004. But Tata Sky is not viewed as a threat within Dish TV. "Certainly, Tata Sky’s launch pushed us to become aggressive and helped us cross the acquistion of two million subscribers faster than the time we took to acquire the first one million subscribers," Arun Kapoor, chief executive of Dish TV recently told Business Standard. Dish TV’s confidence to take on Tata Sky and other new entrants in the DTH market lies in offering its services at very competitive rates. "With our advantage in offering the best quality DTH service at more than Rs 1,000 cheaper than our competitor, we can take on any DTH player in the country," says Kapoor of Dish TV. Both Tata Sky and Dish TV are offering their services at highly subsidised rates. While the per subscriber subsidy on Dish TV connections is Rs 700-900, it’s Rs 1,600-1,800 for Tata Sky. Tata Sky has superior set-top boxes (STB) that are expensive in comparision to Dish TV’s STBs, therefore Tata Sky looses more money per subscriber, DTH experts say. But if Tata Sky is to overtake Dish TV, and both are to expand their susbcriber bases, both companies will have to acquire content at cheaper prices, the experts opine.
Battles in the sky

When i logged in to post a new thread on Battles in the sky. Stev you have already done it, good to see that there are some members are who are very active in this forum.

There are many reports of Quality of Tata Sky.
But how many channels are added in the last four months?
Yah they have not added the channels. I request you to be patient in adding the channels rather than adding the channels and dropping the channel all of a sudden.

I think once sun tv comes on board with tatasky they will take or have plans for adding the channels:thumbsup:.

Well i doubt on this because if they will manintain currunt quality than there is less chance to add more channels after Sun addition.Sun will take almost 2 TP space for there 20+ channels. So if the want to add more channels than it will turn into same as Dish Tv user have quality.:So I am hoping some channels drops from here like some DD's channels. Also I read somewhere that DD Rajayasabha is also must carry channel during parlament season going on. So we may get another dumb channel.🙁

Your name is India but you are anti India. Do you think Star cricket and Neo sports is more important than parliment affairs? Should we not know what our elected members doing there? God save this country.

Well I am not agains India. And I am also not need that channels. Its rules by I&B.I will also aware that 🙂Lokshabha Tv are more popular than Neo Sports.

Your name is India but you are anti India. Do you think Star cricket and Neo sports is more important than parliment affairs? Should we not know what our elected members doing there? God save this country.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

It was initially said that our MPs will behave with direct telecast of parliament proceedings. But they have now become more aggressive and exhibitionist. I don't think anyone except the party members, and chamchas watch. The channel is definitely a pain in the .... Any way, important happenings are covered by DD.
What is patriotic about this channel?

Is it patriotic to see DD?It is a question of choice.It is our money and we should have choice.

wiseman oooo wiseman!!!!!! i think its time u surrender Tata Sky n get dd direct, it will help u save our lovely county..:thumbsup:

u wanna knw wat our elected members r doing there?? ask the teawala and samosawala near the parliament.. they will tell u all about it since they r regular suppliers!!! muhahahaha :rofl::rofl::hysterical: