• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,557

pawanrh

Regular
ISP
None.. :(
hello,
I need help for providing internet connection for our college cyber centre. The Cyber centre has about 50 computers.
1. What speeds do you estimate to be required for general browsing (Mails, orkut, google, etc. and maybe even some minor downloading, and images, etc.)
I am speculating a requirement of 2Mbps (mega bit), considering that at least 60 % of the times, the cyber centre is running with all computers running. i.e. All 50 being used.. 2Mbps/50 = 41 Kbps. This is a very Lame calculation, but still provides an idea as to saying 2 Mbps is fairly sufficient for the purpose.
I would like to hear as to what you all feel.

2. Further, in one of the previous months, on a different internet connection we clocked about 100 GB (Giga Byte) usage per month at its peak. Considering this, take a look at my calculations,
- 100 GB per month,
- per day 4 GB (Cyber centre running 25 Days),
- 0.571 GB per hour (running 7 hours a day) = 585 MB per hour
- 9.75 MB per minute
- 0.1625 MBps (mega Byte per second)
- 1.3 Mbps (Mega bit per second)
So thats the speed we have utilised.

So I ended up with a conclusion that 1Mbps even with a 1:1 ratio will not be enough.. and it has to be a 2 Mbps.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Pawan

Yes good calculation. But is that affordable? More importantly is it profitable?

Ours is a Govt College, Which received Rs. 50 Crore grants from the World bank 2 years back.. [🙂] Also we have even calculated the costs.. About 10 lakhs is earned every year from the students as cyber centre fund.. About 4 lakhs spent on maintainance, 6 Lakh per year is available for the internet.. At that budget we are close to getting a 2 Mbps Leased line.. [🙂] Feels good to be working with such budgets.. he he..As with the profitable part, its aint meant to be profitable, its just gotta be beneficial..

QUOTE(pawanrh @ Nov 6 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]67956[/snapback]
Ours is a Govt College, Which received Rs. 50 Crore grants from the World bank 2 years back.. [🙂]
Also we have even calculated the costs.. About 10 lakhs is earned every year from the students as cyber centre fund.. About 4 lakhs spent on maintainance, 6 Lakh per year is available for the internet..
At that budget we are close to getting a 2 Mbps Leased line.. [🙂]
Feels good to be working with such budgets.. he he..

As with the profitable part, its aint meant to be profitable, its just gotta be beneficial..
[/b]

Friend i came to know that BSNL offering discount for leased line for Govt.Recognised institution; it might be an help to you; please follow the link

http://www.bsnl.co.in/newsdetailed.php?news_id=306

Thanks uba687, yes, I had checked out and their website and after the 15 percent discount, their prices are competetive.. We are also in talks with Hathway. They will mostly be customising a plan for us, which may be better than BSNLs. yet to Meet Reliance Guys.. 🙂

but most important part is speed and service than price. b/s in india now there is good competition among ISP players,but not healthy.understand different technology of ISP and choose most efficient one.

To the OP may we know which college you are mentioning about??