Bandwidth Control

• Thread starter Thread starter kash
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,972

kash

Hi I would like to know how can i control the bandwidith of a specified user/port. I have D-Link DSL-502T Router with a 8 port switch for 6 systems & I'm using 1 Mbps Dataone connection, i would like to limit the bandwidth to a specific system, for eg 64 Kbps to one system & 256 for another system so on.. but from the router itself not through the systems lan card. Is there any router in the maket giving such facility or any other trick/ optional software for router . Waiting for positive reply.

See if NetLimiter can help you.

yup. i think u would have to rely on a proxy software to control bandwidth limitation for particular systems.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 27 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]66886[/snapback]
yup. i think u would have to rely on a proxy software to control bandwidth limitation for particular systems.
[/b]

Hello

I dont want to control through the computer as i said earlier, i would like to control from router itself by hook/crook or by any trick or any software patch for router D-Link DSL-502T. Is there any made router/modem is available in the market which gives such facilities..............

There are three options:

1. Buy a real router, will cost 30k+, but will give you facilities for setting up bandwidth limit per port or per IP or per MAC. Have used D-Link in past for this.
2. Buy an "upgradable" 😉 router. Basically any router that runs Linux/BSD. You can install a firmware that supports additional features. http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

This firmware supports bandwidth control.

Cost will be approx 4k in this case.

3. Use a PC as a router. You will need a PC with two LAN cards. There are Linux distributions that you need not install and will run directly from CD. Some distributions are specifically created for router.

One such distribution id so small that it runs from a 1.4 MB floppy. This will give you bandwidth control.

one such upgradable router is the Linksys WRT54G..i have managed bandwidth on it by running alchemy firmware from sveasoft..

Whats the price in delhi?? Also don't wfi router has bandwidth controller(wifi connections) in them??

and if you do decide to use your pc as router, you can use default windows ICS (Internet connection sharing and a bandwidth limiter software. I've used softperfect bandwidth manager and bandwidth controller 1.07, both work fine .

if u decide to buy WRT54G be careful abt the version u buy coz version 5.0 onwards compatibilty with all the customised firmware's out there is not guaranteed.

QUOTE(netfreak @ Oct 28 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]66912[/snapback]
Ebay price is around 4k

http://cgi.ebay.in/Linksys-802-11g-Wireles...1QQcmdZViewItem

Not all WiFi routers have bandwidth control. Only very expensive ones that are used to provide net in shopping malls etc have bandwidth control.

With WRT routers, you can buy a router in 4k and install ANY feature that is possible with Linux 🙂
[/b]

Hi

A lots of thanks to netfreak for such an beautiful reply. Netfreak can u give me ur mail or messenger id through e-mail so we could be in touch. My mail id is kash_9763@yahoo.com.