Bandwidth Cap Analysis: Why Bandwidth Caps Are Robbery

Is he Your brother? 😛

actually i have became paranoid of UAE's name. As u ar new u don't know abt the sach92 & his UAE 'phenomenon'...he he

MC ,

After some aggregation , here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aob7muNGhdZwdFRPVWw5RnVySGwxclpMY1dzUGp0OUE&hl=en_US

Dude regarding the beam.. its not correct.. its like max downloadable GB's 75 Gb For 400 Rs , Rs 600 plan... 200 gb , Rs 1000.. 650 gb.. dont forget Fup.[For Rs 1000 plan.. it is like Rs 1.5/Gb)

This spreadsheet not only makes me laugh, but it isn't really a fair comparison.

https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/50998-hayai-broadband-pricing/199/#post540965

1.) I have made corrections , and like yours , there is no other ISP with such high speed connectivity , so i have to compare it with them.
2.) I went through NIXI and saw that 10mbps is arounf 15000 , ie 1 mbps costs 1500 Rs as you said , but this is only for internal peering right ?(within india) , charges add for to reach international BB too right ?

1.) I have made corrections , and like yours , there is no other ISP with such high speed connectivity , so i have to compare it with them.
2.) I went through NIXI and saw that 10mbps is arounf 15000 , ie 1 mbps costs 1500 Rs as you said , but this is only for internal peering right ?(within india) , charges add for to reach international BB too right ?

Several things wrong with that:

1. They don't give out 10mbit/s connections anymore in Mumbai or Delhi
2. NIXI is not international bandwidth and you are not allowed to route traffic destined for other AS numbers through NIXI - so only traffic for ISPs connected to NIXI is allowed to be routed through NIXI.
3. You didn't take in to account that they also charge for usage per GB of Rs25 incoming - Rs25 outgoing (for almost all ISPs except BSNL, the ratio is about 3:1, so an effective cost of around Rs16/GB has to be added to the cost of the line itself).
4. Not every ISP peers at NIXI (we won't, because the pricing is stupid). Instead we will peer directly with as many ISPs as possible.
5. ISP also has to pay for the line from his premises to NIXI's premises, which in some cases is stupidly expensive.

...so forget NIXI. As far as we're concerned, it might as well not exist. Charging by the gigabyte... are they MAD?

As for international bandwidth, as previously mentioned charges vary HUGELY based on which cable system you're buying from, how much bandwidth you're buying and the contract term. The TRAI has a ceiling tariff of Rs 2.99 crore per STM (155mbit/s) per year, but these days a typical starting rate is under Rs 1 crore for a single STM, and discounts are given when you buy more bandwidth. BSNL paid about Rs 900/mbit/month (about Rs 17 lakhs per STM or Rs 3.55 per GB) some time in 2010 but I don't have any more recent figures from their side than that.

As potentially huge consumers of bandwidth, Hayai hopes to take advantage of this massive bulk discounting in order to achieve better pricing and/or increase our "FUPs" in the future and get similar or better pricing than BSNL.