Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 30,361
Toll is so costly. Bridge is made by poor/middle men's money and wud now be used by rich.

how much is the toll...my dad calls toll tax the government sponsored extortion.

2500 Rs for montly pass & 50Rs (1 way) for daily pass. 😀 No waiver for taxi.

its abt 6km so total 12 km, 2 way. So two way toll wud be 100Rs. So toll is double the petrol used, what JOKE!! (assuming car wud give abt 12km/ltr)

----------

Bandra-Worli Sea Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia says there is no monthly pass, but in news paper i had read 2500

----------

Official website says, schedule of toll rates will be announced soon:
Bandra Worli Sea Link - Connecting Island and Suburbs of Mumbai

----------

Contruction costed 1800 crores (instead of proposed 300 crores). Now I assume that these 1800 crore was paid from our taxes.

And now they are saying that toll will be collected for 40-50 years and then expenses will be covered.

So what happened to that 1800crores?!

the entire concept of toll roads is a robbery.

here in gurgaon. they charge 17 bucks on one way.

and you can end up spending 15-30 minutes in the line during rush hours.

the funny thing is that, i could have reached delhi faster if i did not spend 20-30 minutes waiting in the toll booth line.

----------

http://delhigurgaonexpressway.indivibes.net/mess-12/6/

i have a complete blog dedicated to the mess on the delhi gurgaon expressway.

the post above showcases how cars break lines and no one stops them.

so basically if you try to be a nice guy staying in a queue, you SUFFER!

----------

http://delhigurgaonexpressway.indivibes.net/mess-12/3/

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/a-bridge-too-far/362508/

The reason is that the speed limit on the sea link has already been reduced from the original 80 kmph to 50 kmph. While even that would be a vast improvement on the peak-hour crawl on the existing land route, the problem begins at the point where the Sea Link meets the Worli Sea Face at (believe it or not) a 90-degree angle. The one-km stretch towards Love Grove Junction that then connects to the south and central business districts has a speed limit of 30 kmph, five traffic signals, and an equal number of diversions and curves. That last stretch alone could take 10-15 minutes, and cause traffic to back up onto the sea link. And, a motorist would have to pay Rs 50 (the one-way toll) to save perhaps 15 minutes of travel time.

NGO challenges charges for use of Bandra-Worli Sea link- Infrastructure-Economy-News-The Economic Times

The monthly pass charges amounting to Rs 2500 was not logical and was on a higher side, said Bombay Youth Association President Pradeep Bhavnani in a letter to the Chief Justice.

The return entry fees was Rs 75 and if a motorist travels every day using this sea link it would amount to Rs 2250 for 30 days in a month. Therefore, charging Rs 2500 for the monthly pass was not logical, Bhavnani pleaded.

so eventually 1800 crore spent to save those 15minutes of rich people.

----------

clear corruption.

Rich people?I thought that bridge would be used by everybody, like Govt & Pvt bus operators (with monthly pass), Taxi owners (again with monthly pass), school buses and Goods carriage trucks.It would cost more to travel, but fuel would also saved due to reduced time, and it would also reduced air pollution as travel time is reduced.And this bridge (and many roads) is built by govt-Pvt partnership, so some part of expense is paid by govt from our tax money, while Pvt operators get back their expense through toll.But tolls should be set logically and their durations should also be set (we still have to pay toll on Mumbai-Pune express higway after so many years 🙁 )

Middle class person doesnt have 75Rs to spend everyday OR 2500Rs every month. Taxi owners with montly pass will eventually cover the expense from us only.And Mumbai Pune express highway is still very long, 200km, and saves lots of time too.Wheareas charging 50Rs per trip for 5.6 km and for saving 15mins, is logic less

that is the problem. we already pay a lot of money in form of taxes and other surcharges for such projects... every liter of petrol and diesel has 1-2 rupee cess for road development.then there is a thing called road tax. the mess we have here on the delhi gurgaon expressway is such that most people prefer the times when there was no expressway at all. the government could have just made decent roads connecting delhi and gurgaon. but they decided to call it an expressway and put on a toll tax that we would pay for ever.

Middle class person doesnt have 75Rs to spend everyday OR 2500Rs every month. Taxi owners with montly pass will eventually cover the expense from us only.

And Mumbai Pune express highway is still very long, 200km, and saves lots of time too.

Wheareas charging 50Rs per trip for 5.6 km and for saving 15mins, is logic less
Agreed.
So people are not interested in paying directly for tolls, but willingly pay for extra fuel which gets consumed in slow moving traffic.
That 5.6 Km road takes 15-30 min in peak hours. For that much time vehicle is ON consuming fuel. But if this link is used, that much fuel (and cost occuring for that) would be saved.
And anyways this link (or Mumbai-Pune e'way) is not mandatory for all travellers, so interested people can use it 🙂
(Even though toll-free old road for Mumbai-Pune is also available, many people prefer E'way with toll)

the question is... how much time would be wasted on the toll plaza itself. if it is anything like here on the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway, you are not going to save much 😀 please forgive me for bringing in the DGE mess in each of my post. i am just giving an example of a totally failed toll project by the indian government :hysterical:the funny thing is that the government has left few alternatives for us to go to delhi. there is another road which takes you to another part of delhi... so that is practically worthless if you have to visit south delhi. there is another road that bypasses the toll plaza but they have made it quite complicated to get on the expressway after that region.

i dont think lot of fuel gets wasted in 10-15 extra mins. u can say instead of 5.6 km, current road wud be effectively taking say 9km. so abt 3km petrol extra. that is still not much.and admin has a point, if toll plaza will take lot of time (even 3-4mins) then it wud not make any sense.

More Time required at toll plaza is bad.
So I guess Mumbai Sea link are using some automatic system for Monthly pass vehicles, and they would not have to wait at toll point. When vehicle passes the toll point, it would automatically detected & charged by some tag put on vechicle.
Bandra-Worli Sea Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- An 8-lane bridge with 2 lanes dedicated for buses.
- Unique bridge design for the Link Bridge to emerge as a landmark structure in the city.
- Single tower supported 500 metre long cable-stayed bridge at Bandra Channel and twin tower supported 350 m cable-stayed bridge at Worli Channel for each carriageway.
- Modern toll plaza of 16 lanes with automated toll collection system.
- An intelligent bridge with state-of-the-art systems for traffic monitoring, surveillance, information and guidance, instrumentation, emergency support, etc.
- Development of promenade and landscaping to enhance the environment.