• Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 6,178

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Life was easy in the year 1999. I recount there were hardly 15000 files on my PC which had a measly 1.2 GB Hard drive. I could keep track of disk space consumption in my mind. There were like 300 songs and around 1000 wallpapers that hogged up the space. Finding files was easy and Windows OS Search Command made up for it.

Now? Times have changed. Got 150 Gigs on this computer… and around 3 Lakh files to manage. Files of all kinds… mostly useless but we no longer care for crap. We get bored, we format and start refresh. With internet holding everything imaginable possible, no general data is losable. And well, finding files on the computer has become a painful task. Without decent search available in Win OS out of the box, life can become a hell. That is a reason why the new File System that is expected to arrive with Microsoft Longhorn is so much in news. It is broadly aimed at making file management so easy that keeping track and searching files becomes easy. By managing the HDD file system as a database, there is no need for duplication of files at multiple locations and searching becomes as fast as searching on the internet using a search engine like Google. But that technology is still years away from our reach. So, what to do?

More: Ava Find: Making finding files easy and simple

Many are working on that issue!e.g.:Apple - SpotLight (Mac OS X 10.4)Microsoft - WinFS (LonghornKDE - KDE 3.4 or 4We'll see what it gives...P.S.: did you see Apple's KeyNote a couple of weeks ago? It was amazing!

True! but it reduce also the cost for CD & u r now can keep good amount of data on these HDD. Now, u don't have to manage many folders of CDs as there valuable data or entertainment material..like Movies (Hindi, English & Bl** Film)🙂. And, if we talking about the fast search lets wait for the microsoft's new version or technology or invent u r self....🙂

longhorn comes in 2006. and well, for this i am not going to buy a new PC and a new Operating System 😉

7 years have gone & pretty much nothing has changed

need to buy Apple the day i got rich 😛
You still need to be rich to by apple products

longhorn comes in 2006. and well, for this i am not going to buy a new PC and a new Operating System 😉
A new Windows OS = A new PC

haha. times have changed. i bought a mac and am not impressed with mac os x. though the build quality of mac hardware and the battery life is indeed impressive. and a new windows os does not really require a new pc now. most computers bought today should run windows 8 next year just fine. in fact, any dual core or better system should do fine with vista/7/8.

Yeah, by experience, I think they would probably remove a few stuff that was adding unnecessary weight to the OSHowever I still maintain, Apple is costly & Windows does require a few upgrades - earlier it was with every OS, now it may be with every 2 OSes upgrade...

Life was easy in the year 1999. I recount there were hardly 15000 files on my PC which had a measly 1.2 GB Hard drive. I could keep track of disk space consumption in my mind. There were like 300 songs and around 1000 wallpapers that hogged up the space. Finding files was easy and Windows OS Search Command made up for it.

Now? Times have changed. Got 150 Gigs on this computer… and around 3 Lakh files to manage. Files of all kinds… mostly useless but we no longer care for crap. We get bored, we format and start refresh. With internet holding everything imaginable possible, no general data is losable. And well, finding files on the computer has become a painful task. Without decent search available in Win OS out of the box, life can become a hell. That is a reason why the new File System that is expected to arrive with Microsoft Longhorn is so much in news. It is broadly aimed at making file management so easy that keeping track and searching files becomes easy. By managing the HDD file system as a database, there is no need for duplication of files at multiple locations and searching becomes as fast as searching on the internet using a search engine like Google. But that technology is still years away from our reach. So, what to do?

More: Ava Find: Making finding files easy and simple

1st Jan 2014