authentication problems, anybody?

ISP
airtel/128k
hi,
my initial experience with airtel ( ~ 14 days approx.) has been a bit patchy. yesterday's incident, even more so. the router was pingable, dns servers not, and logging into 192.168.1.1 revealed "authentication failure" in the "WAN" area.

not knowing what to do, i reconfigured the router, changing the username from 01151xxxxxx@touchtelindia.net, to 01141xxxxxx@touchtelindia.net, saved, rebooted, and, voila, was connected again.

turning the computer on this morning, yesterday's symptoms were repeated ("authentication failure"), i reverted the 4 to a 5, and the modem was able to login, and resume usage.

needless to say, this is very very bizarre. i've had the opportunity to speak with airtel's customer care people thrice in the past couple of days (including, once, to figure out how to disable a very irritating 6am wake up call that i never opted in for!), and they've babbled about the number shift (from 5 to 4) each time.

but going back and forth like this is a big much.

anyone else experienced this?

as I said, CC of any company in India is P A T H E T I C - be it Orange, Reliance of the great Airtel. I have spoken to them 3-4 times and they haven't been able to tell my why wasn't my request for a new connection attended DESPITE the fact that they acknowledge that their connections are available in my area. 😕 Besides, they weren't able to answer few of my connections including those about port blocking, p2p traffic etc...

update: had to fiddle with the modem's settings again, to switch back to 5 from 4, after being derailed again, INEXPLICABLY. wtf!!!!

Originally posted by max@Nov 22 2005, 07:19 PM
as I said, CC of any company in India is P A T H E T I C ......  Besides, they weren't able to answer few of my connections including those about port blocking, p2p traffic etc...
[snapback]32893[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think CC aer the same everywhere, i used to get net from Tesco and BT in London. I never got any CC rep taht could talk in technical terms all they know is to read off prepared solutions like is the light on, can you see the TV (TC and net shared the same DTH dish for Tesco)? Have you installed any firewall etc etc

Though things are different for enterprise customers. 3 years back, I helped a friend setup a small web development shop in a small town in MP. Airtel (Was known as BT Sol at that time) CC for Leased lines was better, looked like they had employed gyus who knew their stuff.

But for normal customers with ARPU less then 20k per month, we can't expect to talk to someone knowledgable.

Why the hell did you come back from London to India?... Were you forced back to India? 😱 (j/k). I mean India is hell for people like us. And if you are half of what your username suggests (i.e. a netfreak) then you must be pulling your hair out over here!...

lol 🙂) I think this is typical for quite a a few people in IT. As a fresher, you only look at salary / brand name. After a year you look for onsite, you spend some time there and get homesick, Then you hear that your dream company is opening a center in India, Indian IT market looks like heaven and you jump on the bandwagon.And you either get Broadband there or house help here (and a driver if you are a higher up). Tough choice man.

lol u summed it all up .btw there are gonna be authentication problems as airtel is gonna shift from 5XXXXXXX to 4XXXXXX number so .... 😕

netfreak, wow man. I have never met a foreign returned Indian IT guy. I have a lot of questions for you 😀

In Mumbai / Pune, LOTS of Fortune 100 (yes, not even 500 or 1000) companies have begun their IT operations. List include:1. Top 5 Wall Street banks (Except Goldman, it is in Bangalore) Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan, Lehman Brothers .... you name it, they are here 😀 2. HSBC (In Pune with few thousand developers)3. Top EU / EU centric Investment Banks (BNP Paribas, Wachovia.... ) They are the BIGGEST customers of IT. Talk to anyone in IT sales or have a look at financial reports of M$, Redhat, Sun, IBM, HP (Software systems), CSC, Sybase. You will find the facts quite interesting.In US they are the dream companies to work for, in IT (If you are not into System programming). And now they are in India.And you will find lots of expatriates there.Will PM my email ID.

I am unsure as to whether I want to go in for System programming or application/solution developement. I still have sometime before I graduate.

I am sure you already know that, but if you do like system programming then start building your score on Topcoder.com, Nvidia, Google, Yahoo everyone hires off that site. And a good ranking on topcoder.com is very valuable for such companies.(well, at least if you are not from IIT or IISc ).

has anybody used the 220bx's usb port for connecting? the usb make my computer lose responsiveness and causes speedcheckers (like bandwidth monitor pro) to hang and be unkillable. :-( any one else experiencing this?

In case you get authorization on 220 bx or 110bx, switch off the modem.. wait for 2 miniutes and the switch on the modem.. You will be connection to Airtel network.. This problem comes, when you modem is rebooted within very short span of time... Whenever this problem comes... just power off... wait for 2 minutes and power on the modem...

the usb connection worked well for a few hours last afternoon, but was freezing every two to five minutes, in the evening. with that kind of frequency, my uptime is equal to my downtime :-( lagta hai switch/router lena padega. more choona :-(