• Views Views 1,657

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Content of my complaint:

There is no indication that the tweet is sponsored. The actress did not use a Lyf device as the tweet has been posted using an iPhone. Proof in attached image. If one looks at her recent tweets, most of them are posting using Apple devices or through a web browser. It is clear that she is not tweeting about Lyf devices because she likes them. She is doing so because she is being paid to do so. I think it's time we have rules similar to USA where celebrities and social media influencers have to disclose any social media post that are sponsored or paid for inside the post's content itself.

Tweet I included:

Source

OgHSjAL.webp

FTC in USA appears to be getting strict about this.

FTC to Crack Down on Paid Celebrity Posts That Aren’t Clear Ads

Last edited:
ASCI issues endorsement guidelines for celebrities

"Celebrity should do due diligence to ensure that all description, claims and comparisons made in the advertisements they appear in or endorse are capable of being objectively ascertained and capable of substantiation and should not mislead or appear deceptive," the ad regulator said.
Moreover, the regulator has also banned the celebrities from endorsing "any advertisement of a product or treatment or remedy that is prohibited for advertising" under the Drugs & Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act and the Drugs & Cosmetic Act".
It also prohibits celebrities from appearing in any ad in which "a product which by law requires a health warning is injurious to health" on its packaging or advertisement.

So Govinda or Jackie Shroff lost medium of their income 😀
Which actor would deny ad contract for such reasons?

the article does not mention it i believe but from what i read few days ago... the updated regulations still do not hold the celebrities liable for the brands they represent. no punishment. only monetary fines. reason given was that they have following the international standard. insane.

unless you are penalizing in excess of 100% of the amount paid by the brand to the celebrity, it's nonsense.

Looks like this has changed for some people at least.

But disclosure is still not required for celebrities like actors and sportspersons it seems.

Also since ASCI is not a government body, these are not legal requirements it seems. Influencers can continue to ignore them if they want.

Last edited:
Looks like ASCI lost control of their domain https://ascionline.org probably because of Net4. They are now using https://ascionline.in through GoDaddy.